 Trains / Train Organizations / 1183
Re: IBLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:44:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Wilson writes:

Can this include clubs which don't call themselves LTC's but exhibit layouts
at
train shows, like VLC?

I don't see why not,  NELUG, NALUG, and NCLUG members have all expressed
interest and all do train shows.  I don't see why "LTC" in your name would
be a prerequisite of membership.

I would tend to agree, I suspect Steve's intent was to be inclusionary not
exclusionary. But if any of the following are true, I would think that the
club may not have a compelling need to belong (other than for informational
reasons):

- The club has a subclub or affiliated club that IS an LTC (c.f.
WAMALUG/WAMALTC)... in that case why would WAMALUG need to help? WAMALTC can
do fine on its own. There is membership overlap anyway.
- The club has stated they have no interest in trains, never have, never
will. (not very likely, but a hypothetical)

If a club doesn't have a compelling need to belong, should it? Belonging
implies work.

Note, that's an actual question I asked, above, and I'm actually interested
in the answer.

I tend to ask questions when I want to know the answers, and make statements
when I already think I do know them. Much clearer that way. Miscommunication
tends to typically be the fault of the writer, not the reader. (which is an
argument against use of Brotherhood in the name, by the way, as no matter
what the intent, there are those readers that will be confused...)

++Lar