 Trains / *9669 (-100)
  Re: Show report

(...) Dan it is a LTC proper...MLTC (...) Myself personally i haven't seen that site however others in our group may have. (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Show report

Congrats, guys. I look forward to seeing a deluge of pics. Shows are always exciting but you never forget the first one. Just for the sake of asking, is the group here strictly a subset of MichLUG or an 'LTC-proper? Sounds like you learned allot, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Show report - GATS 2000 Novi Michigan

To All, Larry stole most of my thunder I had planned, but that's fine. I am extremely tired after this weekend. I have over a hundred pictures from the show, and I will try to get them on Brickshelf ASAP, I fought with it over 2 hours last night and (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Show report

Glad to hear it was a success! Wish I could have been there, perhaps at a later show. -Tim (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Show report

Just a short note to let everyone know that our first show was a success. A few minor glitches but overall everything went pretty well, or at least it was going well when I had to leave for the airport. We went through most of 600 handouts, each of (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: New Lego Train MOCs

(...) Now that u mention it I think I will....... (...) I hope so..... (...) the middle trucks arent connected directly to the body, there connect to the front truck which is on a swivel connecting to the body.....that one picture is misleading (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Dixon writes: Hi Kevin, (...) Shop-at-Home has different catalogs for the US and Canada. Canadian catalogs tend to be slimer :-( and do not always feature the same products. 4565 is featured in the canadian edition whereas (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lego Train MOCs

(...) Cool. Are you going to try smooth tiles instead of plates on the ends? One other question, did you try stepping tiles in place of the 1x8 tile? That is a tough slope to model. I guess the choices are stepped tiles or a sloped tile with some (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  New Lego Train MOCs

Hey all, I've added some pics of trains that I have been working on recently. Here are the Highlights: GG-1 Electric Locomotive (URL) Eventually I plan to add decals and have the entire locomotive be red (used green because I was short on color, but (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

Hi, (...) Just wondering which catalog you were looking at? In the two shop at home catalogs I have received so far, the 4565 is featured: Shop at Home Holiday 2000 - 4565 on page 2,3 and 4561 on page 34,35 Shop at Home January 2001 - 4565 on page (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  $13 Soccer Buses (white train windows) at eToys

Subject says it all. Find it under the Brands>LEGO>System>Soccer use the wishlist method someone else posted for an additional 10%. Is this what looting feels like? -Rob. (24 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: train show for january 13-14......SET UP UPDATE!

(...) Congratulations! Looks like a lot of fun. I see you have connected three freight loading stations together. I also do this with my three but for a bit of variety I rebuild one of them so it is the mirror image of the others, and for the middle (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

kai brodersen <cbrodersen@mediaone.net> wrote in message news:G72y4I.AGw@lugnet.com... (...) Cool setup you guys got there! its HUGE! I like the blend of sets/MOCs too, and the McDonald's :) Sorry I can't make it this weekend, we're having a fest in (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: train show for january 13-14......SET UP UPDATE!

To All, (...) train (...) the (...) Lots of fun, lots of work, lots of bricks. : ) I will get some pictures up too. Hopefully. Scott S. -- Want LEGO Elements at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn Systems Company www.sanburnsystems.com Scott E. Sanburn, (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  train show for january 13-14......SET UP UPDATE!

hidy ho train fans as some of you know the newly formed michigan lego train club is presenting on January 13-14.........well here are some pics of the setup !!! ENJOY! HERE----- (URL) PICTURES TO COME! (24 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

(...) Sounds good to me! -Harvey (24 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

(...) What I would love to see is a convergence of Mindstorms and Trains. Both moving to a "signalling supererimposed on power" type system (a bit like DCC). So all LEGO electrics/electronics would work the same, motors, train motors, lights, (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

Steve, look up (URL)Steve, did James Powell ever send you the layout for his intermodal (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

(...) Perhaps those old blue rails of mine will come back into fashion again 8?) There are advantages using these methods - don't have to worry about where to place power connectors & isolating track sections; Don't have to keep cleaning the track (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Motorize switch point

Here are some pics from a design I just finished about 1 month ago. It will stay together for several hundred cycles. It's controlled by mind storms. (URL) under points SteveB (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) An intermodal layout? AFAIK he's sending a bunch of containers and intermodal type sets that James B and I will place as appropriate. I still have to confirm, but it'll probably include my <set:4549> and then after the show, the crane and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

(...) I fear this sound quite probable, but I really do hope this is not the bright future of our train line. :-( Ben P.s.: I do not wish to get DCC in the first line, I just would beg TLC to bring out more realistical looking stuff and less town (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

Looking at what Playmobil did some years ago, a likely 'major change' of Trains is replacing the expensive metal tracks by plastic track (like Duplo train) and have the trains battery-powered & radio-controlled. Eric (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Motorize switch point

(...) The point works reliably at power settings of 1 or 2 (the first or second notch on the LEGO speed regulator), but if you turn up the power on the LEGO speed regulator to 5 or 6, the motor that moves the point will pop off. Chris (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

(...) What is the opinion of lugnet.trains? Is there any hope that this announcement by Jake McKee: "Although I can't say much at this point, let's just say that this is only the beginning of a great deal of Train activity throughout 2001 and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Motorize switch point

I had read your design, but you said the house will be separated from the track after about a half dozen cycles if it is operated at power settings 5 and 6... What do you mean? is it useful auto switch point if I understood your meaning? Zhengrong (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Motorize switch point

(...) There are other automated points out there, and mine copy some of the features seen on those points. (URL) PGP public key available upon request. (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  (canceled)

  Re: Information Needed for Saturday Train Show - please Help!

Here are the times: Friday 3:00 to 9:00 p.m.-setup Saturday Exhibitor move in- 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Saturday Public hours- 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Exhibitors leave at- 5:05 Sunday open to exhibitors -10:00 a.m (no earlier) Sunday public hours- (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

Steve, did James Powell ever send you the layout for his intermodal station? It would be nice to have it on Saturday, to be able to incorporate it into your plans. Michel (24 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Information Needed for Saturday Train Show - please Help!

(...) Hey Scott, Where are you setting up shop? Novi is only 25 miles from my house (at the other end of metro Detroit), and for me it would be all I-696 freeway driving. I might show up. What times? Gary Istok (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Information Needed for Saturday Train Show - please Help!

That reminds me... CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A RIDE PLEZ!!???!?!?!?!?!? (Caps were meant) Rick Hallman (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) Except for a brief moment as the train crosses the gap. If the power packs are set to close to the same level, there really shouldn't be any problem with having them electrically connected. They'll just equalize out the voltage, in part by (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Information Needed for Saturday Train Show - please Help!

To All, As most of you know, most of us in the Michigan LEGO club are attending GATS here in Novi, Michigan on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend. We were discussing having a flyer of some of the train related items, such as the train clubs, (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) With a bit of changing, there is certainly room for a small loop inside the town end. So, do we have a time/place for our Saturday get-together yet? Is it out a James'? We had talked about being able to come here, but we might want to be a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Woohoo!! Long Live Lego Trains!!

If you haven't read (URL) it now! The firmest endorsement I've ever heard from Lego that new trains are coming! I was getting worried for a bit when I noticed the 45xx numbering has been used on non-train stuff (those funky racer things) Matt (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

(...) While LEGO Trains have not been well supported in the past I believe theey they will continue. As for 4565 not being the the S@H catalog, I guess they missed it. It IS in the regular german catalog along with the new Alpha Team items and all (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) OK, so I'm not crazy (not legally, anyway! ;-) I only saw them in a large yard, in Edmonton, near the airport. Never on the roads...and I don't think I ever saw a 'real' "B" unit before the pictures I saw today. (In the SF Bay Area, I'm on one (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Motorize switch point

I got tracks and train set recent, now I am planing to make motorize switch point, level crossing, cargo crane, and so on, I want to refer all other information and instructions from train experts, does any tell me where I can find most useful (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

(...) That, and it was the only way I could come up with doing it, even after working on it for quite a while. Chris (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) A slug runs off the excess current produced by the unit it is mated to. Slugs are used in low-speed service such as switching in a yard, where tractive effort is more important than speed. The vast majority of slugs are old locomotives cut (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) I'm not sure what CN units you're referring to. (...) No. If they're cut down, they're definitely slugs. Slugs don't need the prime mover, radiator, blowers, dynamic brake vents and cooling fans, etc., since they've been castrated. This GP60B (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) Here's the town, bridge and switching yard as I currently have them. (URL) the moment, my method of running multiple trains is just that - run multiple trains on the one main loop. It's so long that two or three trains can run on it for quite (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Strangely, these look like "full-height" units...I say it's odd only because I've only seen this one other time, in Edmonton, and the CN units were between 1/2 and 2/3 as tall as normal units. It seemed like you could put them in front of a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

(...) of (...) from (...) dome (...) Ah, that is a great way to preserve what symmetry you can. later, James Mathis (...) few (...) think (...) everyone (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

I've used this kind of glass roof on a building before, with both ends fixed. I'll try to get a picture. Eric (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A piece in 4551

(...) is this the piece you mean? (URL) 1 in black, and 5 in gray... (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Mike, The locomotive you are describing is an EMD GP60B (B as in booster). 23 of these were built by GM between July and September of 1991. With a 710G prime mover, they develop 3,800 HP. Santa Fe was the only railroad to purchase the cabless (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A piece in 4551

(...) I'd call it a "2x2 tile with top peg". They are often in Basic sets (used to hold helicopter propellers), although it is unusual for Basic sets to have the most desirable color for trains - black or gray. Steve (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  A piece in 4551

I want to know what name of a piece in 4551, it is a 2x2 plate with a spin, like a small bogie plate, could you tell me which sets include this piece and where I can get them? Br Zhengrong (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

(...) This is a beaut. Really reminds me of Budd stainless steel fluted even though it doesn't have any fluting and it isn't stainless. But the way the tail rounds around but not too much really is nice. Clever use of the large thinwall panels. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) I've already spent considerable time pondering this problem, but I haven't found a solution I liked. If I were to add a table in the middle and shuffle/squeeze the track on both sides to accommodate a fourth "main" line as you suggest, there's (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Just confirming what everyone else is saying, it's a "B" unit. These are less and less common these days as the savings you get on initial purchase from not buying a cab isn't as much as it used to be and the operating flexibility you lose is (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

I want to say a B unit of a EMD/ 1980 engine something like that. i e-mailed the dude to see if he knew anything (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) It's a "B" unit, that is to say, it does not have a crew cab. That's the only difference from a normal unit...it is designed to go in the middle of a consist, and not at the driving end. It's cheaper for the railway, when they are going to (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Well Mike I'm about as far from an expert as you could get, but I am fairly decent at looking things up... 'specially if I'm given a place to start.... "DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES, NAMING How are diesel locomotives identified? North American diesel (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

(...) Too bad I don't have a better camera. The dome is surrounded by 1x2x1 thin walls. The thin walls are attached to the car and the dome rests in the hole created by the thin walls. There are thin walls at the front and back of the dome too. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

Chris, This is really cool. Nice new window use for the dome. Are you able to put smooth tiles on both sides of the dome at the interface with the brick sides of the car? The overall look of your observation car is quite nice. later, James Mathis (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Help from the train experts ...

In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this: HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAIN...0B/331.HTM What do you call this? It is a locomotive that doesn't have a cab. For some reason the term "slug" comes to my memory but I don't know if it is correct. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Good point. Maybe the train line needs two levels, an almost Town Jr. level, and a regular old fashion Town level. I am not against LEGO marketing to AFOL's, but I don't think it is necessary. Chris (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) I don't see how this would apply to Larry or anyone else who is already selling their designs (ie, the Guild of Bricksmiths), because the answer to a) above is obviously yes if you're already doing so, and the answer to b) good to excllent, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) If LEGO was looking to slurp designs, they wouldn't run a contest for single cars. They'd go for entire trains. TLC put in the verbiage about assigning copyright, so they wouldn't have any entanglements over (a) using the winning entry in (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

I cut some of my switches with very satisfying result. I have pictures and will scan them one of these days. Eric (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Or that TLC has not decided to target sets at the adult train collector market... 4561 is a good set for the target market it's targeted to, which is the same market (or maybe SLIGHTLY advanced) that Town Jr. is targeted to. ++Lar (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Yup. A 60' layout is going to look pretty empty with only 1 train. I like (John's?) suggestion for doing 2 loops. (...) Cool. The more stuff we've got, the better. (...) I've got 13 of the longest connector, and a smattering of the smallest 2 (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) To get more trains moving at once, we would have to cut out some of the long sidings in the center to make room for the second loop. IMO, not a problem. "More running locos are better than more stationary (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

SRC wrote in message ... (...) Without messing with polarity switching, a simple solution would be to add an extra main line to the center section for a total of four lines. This way, you can have two loops running the full length of the layout. [1] (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

(...) Thanks Bob, You know where to find me for, um, er, "technical" help in the constructs. Rich -- Have Fun! C-Ya! Legoman34 ***** Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the views of my employer...) BRICKFEST 2001 (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) Or, just electrically isolate the two sections, so each transformer is powering its own section of track. The easiest way is to leave a 1 stud gap between two lengths of straight track, and use a 4x8 plate to tie (no pun intended!) the tracks (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) Or, just electrically isolate the two sections, so each transformer is powering its own section of track. The easiest way is to leave a 1 stud gap between two lengths of straight track, and use a 4x8 plate to tie (no pun intended!) the tracks (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Come on. There are some very talented people working for LEGO who can design what ever they feel like designing. Unfortunately, it does not seem like any of those talented people work in marketing. Chris (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  New Observation car

Even though I said that I wouldn't be doing any coach work for a while, I built an observation car. It is almost done, but I decided to put up three preliminary pictures anyway. I need to buy some doors, some windows, and a few chairs to finish it (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) If you put a loop on 60 feet table a suggest that you put your transformer about in the middle of the table and set 1 connection on boot side of the loop at that point (about 3-4 feet apart across the table), by doing so you cut the length of (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  min/max distances for track wiring

Hello, I was wondering if you could share your experiences with our group. How often, either in track pieces or actual measured length do you add an electrical connection to your long lengths of track? Is it better to hook up transformers at (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

I agree with John, that it would be best if you had atleast two separate loops of track. (I still like Chris' "law" that the continuous loop(s) not run along the branch of a switch.) With a layout that size, if only one locomotive can run at a time, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe locomotive - (rev. 3 - final?)

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:G6E5t7.A6H@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] I have iterated on my Santa Fe Warbonnet locomotive again. Added an interior, moved one of the SNOT coupling locations so it isn't (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

Well, I will probably get Flamed over this but, oh well. I finally got my catalog yesterday and read the Train contest. Sounds to me like they can't build quality trains so they need someone else to do it for them (just look at the last two trains). (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Probably not all that exciting. I said my piece already. I do market my designs (www.miltontrainworks.com) and I consider results so far a modest success but not a huge one. I also said that while I personally won't be entering I can see merit (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Hmmm - Larry vs. Tony - This could be interesting. 8-) SRC (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) That's the only thing I don't like about this layout - It's one HUGE loop with tons of sidings. The main "problem" is the three main tracks running the length of the main section. There could be one "loop" for each cross-over, but that would (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What's "a car" & what's a "digital picture"? (was:Re: LEGO Trains on trial?)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, James Mathis (<G6nuu2.GE7@lugnet.com>) wrote at 23:06:02 (...) Haven't read the rules, but perhaps they mean 'no CAD models'. (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lego Cog Train

Thanks for the link.. good to see something other than whats in my thoughts. The version I am working on however has both the 9V as pictured on his train, and it also has the 9V that comes with Lego trains and conducts from the tracks via the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) A quick suggestion that will save you some time: Pre-assemble your straight track into 4 piece long segments. You should be able to find a box large enough to carry them. That way, when you're setting up at the show, you'll be able to do it (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message news:3A54B70F.76B095...ane.edu... (...) thinking (...) do so (...) so I (...) Good point. The copyright subdiscussion in the train contest thread has really made me laugh. In all the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lego Cog Train

"Yendra" <yendra@nebi.com> wrote in message news:G6ps81.Ev9@lugnet.com... (...) Train. (...) Check out Heiner Berg's page: (URL) I JUST (...) school, (...) Welcome to the club :-) -Frank (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

I like your yard, Steve. James' yard was less dense, but it did look nice and tidy. I just realized that there is only one loop of track. With a layout this size, it would make sense to have several things moving around simultaneously. Otherwise, it (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) (URL) shot is of the "industrial side" with the switching yard and the container, oil and auto depots/yards. The empty spot in the lower corner is for hand-outs - there's a matching one on the "town side". SRC StRuCtures (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) True - there's no shortage of _floor_ space, and I can always add more tables, but at $1/foot out of my pocket (hopefully reimbursed but no garauntee) I'd like to make maximum use of space. Also, I have to stay within reach of the edge of the (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Yeah - I noticed that AFTER I'd posted it - there should be another switch in there, plus there's still more to add to the totals. Between Michel and I we have almost 250 curved segments which should be plenty. Straights are another story (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Er, one of the tracks isn't connected. So, thats 1173 pieces of train track. My guess is about a minute to place each one. Some as little as a couple seconds, but overall, I think that's a not unexpected rate. That's a *lot* of time! P.S. I've (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Lego Cog Train

Hey all, first time poster. I got an uncontrollable urge the other day to build myself a Lego Cog Train. I have done this using a 9v train engine, and a 9v motor attached to the train engine. Things are going along fairly smoothly in my mind. Does (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) ? Why do you want the spurs so close together? If there's one thing we *aren't* short of, it's space. Stick with the geometry. Even a space-eating ladder-style yard works just fine. James (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Future of Belville

(...) While I haven't read HP yet (but my daughter has), I can speak about Belville, which I like. And does my daughter (13), who also likes Scala (I kiddingly curse TLC for duplicate doll themes;) Although the palettes of both are a bit off for my (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.belville, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Two feet by eight feet (or 6 or 4, but what point is a 2'x4' table?) (...) For the track designer impaired, here's what he's talking about... (URL) nice, but it still doesn't get the tracks any closer together than the standard switch width. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Two feet by eight feet (or 6 or 4, but what point is a 2'x4' table?) (...) For the track designer impaired, here's what he's talking about... (URL) nice, but it still doesn't get the tracks any closer together than the standard switch width. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) I killed the whole morning (I could never do this with a regular paying job) making it, but I've got a switching yard that I like. The overall "industrial end" is 8'x18', with the yard 3' across. (Any wider and we wouldn't be able to reach it (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Future of Belville

(...) Yes, and the built-in mystical theme, including props and designs might make it more attractive. It's no big deal to squirt dark grey plastic into a Belville mold rather than pink or purple. (...) Yes, but now that I think of it, the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.belville, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: What's "a car" & what's a "digital picture"? (was:Re: LEGO Trains on trial?)

(...) Interesting thought on this: many, perhaps most or even all, photo processing services use digital processing these days. The negatives are stilled developed the old-fashioned way (no way to avoid that), but then they are fed into a unit that (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Hmm. I don't think we can pull off a 15 footer, quite. Quick question: How *wide* are our tables? I've been thinking that they're 30", standard banquet table width, but I seem to recall you saying "2 feet" somewhere... (...) One way of getting (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

(...) For the record: I am very confident of the future of trains and I do not think this contest has grand significance. But I do not think ANY company runs "just a fun contest." If trains were doomed, we'd hear nothing about it. They'd just (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact