 Trains / 9078
Re: LEGO Trains on trial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:30:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Hello everyone, I finally got a copy of the new LEGO S&H catalog. After
paging through this I've noticed several new sets. Star Wars, Life On Mars,
Trains.....did I say Trains? Silly me, I've noticed that 4565 ain't featured
this time. What I did see is the complete Trains contest rules and
stipulations. Here is my diagnosis on this matter...

To all trainheads out there, submit an entry! LEGO Trains ARE on trial. Our
response will likely decide the outcome of the Train theme future.

I disagree. I am much more confident of the future of trains than some here.
And as for this contest having grand galactic significance, I don't see it.
Like I said to Suz, it's just a fun contest.

For the record: I am very confident of the future of trains and I do not think
this contest has grand significance. But I do not think ANY company runs "just a
fun contest."

If trains were doomed, we'd hear nothing about it. They'd just disappear. This
contset draws attention to trains and gets consumers interested in them --
something LEGO would never do if they were about to kill them off.

To those
who may balk at this notion, remember that LEGO's are supposed to be a fun
pasttime.

who said they weren't?
The LEGO Company is a company though.

If one is afraid of LEGO 'stealing' their design (doubtless TLC
will modify our designs before committing these to the market, I don't think
they would be bold enough to directly plaigerize),so be it.

I'm sure TLC will change the designs -- once they own them. Plagerism would only
apply if TLC used the designs without owning them. (which is why they will own
them.)

Again, I disagree. I don't think TLC will be using these designs for
production.

But they could.

Remember, (like I told Suz) D L Blair is doing the initial
filtering. They are good "consumer contest" judges, but not competent to
judge what is a good TLC production set and what isn't.

Right. that's why Blair's only paid to make the task easier for TLC "judges" in
picking out a desirable winner. I agree that if TLC were looking for production
models, it would be done differently. That doesn't mean this contest isn't
"warming up" for it.

I think the "demise of trains" is a vastly overblown rumor. Leave it at that.

DO submit stuff if you want, though... but it's just a fun contest, not a
great judgement of the future of trains. That's my opinion, and my opinion
only.

That's my opinion too. Assuming that "just a fun contest" describes the
experience of many LEGO fans (not that of TLC).

-Suz