 Trains / 9057
Re: LEGO Trains on trial?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:38:53 GMT

To all trainheads out there, submit an entry! LEGO Trains ARE on trial. Our
response will likely decide the outcome of the Train theme future.

I disagree. I am much more confident of the future of trains than some here.
And as for this contest having grand galactic significance, I don't see it.
Like I said to Suz, it's just a fun contest.

  I think that any "trial" TLC might run must be balanced against the
prosperity of this predominantly S@H product line, as well as against the
awesome presence of the displays assembled by AFOL's.  What other line, with
the possible exception of Star Wars, could have had any success with such
limited retail exposure?  Trains may or may not be a vigorous producer of
profit, but their sales must be impressive enough if they've persisted for
so many years in such a poorly-accessible market.

I think the "demise of trains" is a vastly overblown rumor. Leave it at that.

  In other threads you've pointed out that Juniorization can be good if it's
used as part of a longitudinal marketing strategy, and I think we can see
some of that here, too.  The presence of Baby Train suggests that some
thought has been given to laying the foundation for future Train purchasers.
Time will tell, of course, but I don't think the current state of Trains
spells the end of the line (did I just make a pun?) any more conclusively
than Town Jr. has ended Town (which, some might argue, Town Jr. *has*, but
the product line does still continue.)  We'll see...

     Dave!
  (a casual, but interested, Train purchaser)