 Trains / 9123
Re: Help from the train experts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:14:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60B/331.HTM

What do you call this?  It is a locomotive that doesn't have a cab.  For
some reason the term "slug" comes to my memory but I don't know if it is
correct.

Thanks,

Mike

It's a "B" unit, that is to say, it does not have a crew cab.   That's the only
difference from a normal unit...it is designed to go in the middle of a
consist, and not at the driving end.

It's cheaper for the railway, when they are going to lash up multiple engines,
not to pay to have a cab on every one.  Given that it is a GP unit, it is
likely used on container service (high HP, low traction).

James P