 Trains / 9122
Re: Help from the train experts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:07:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60B/331.HTM

What do you call this?  It is a locomotive that doesn't have a cab.  For
some reason the term "slug" comes to my memory but I don't know if it is
correct.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot

Well Mike I'm about as far from an expert as you could get, but I am fairly
decent at looking things up... 'specially if I'm given a place to start....

"DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES, NAMING
        How are diesel locomotives identified?

North American diesel locomotives are designated by the number of
powered axles, divided into trucks.  The letters A,B,C,D stand for
1 through 4 axles, so an EMD FT (see below) with 2 trucks each of
which contains two driving axles is a B-B. Early locomotives were
made with A1A trucks. (2 axles, the center one unpowered)

A units have a cab with controls for the engineer. B units are
basically A units with no controls. Slugs are a cut-down frame filled
with concrete. They have only traction motors, and receive power from
an attached engine."

Quoted from:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/pro_faq2.html#name

So is the one in your picture a Slug?