 Trains / 9137
Re: Help from the train experts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:06:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David K. Z. Harris writes:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60B/331.HTM

Strangely, these look like "full-height" units...I say it's
odd only because I've only seen this one other time, in Edmonton,
and the CN units were between 1/2 and 2/3 as tall as normal units.
It seemed like you could put them in front of a normal locomotive,
and the engineer could see over it.

I'm not sure what CN units you're referring to.

Would the term 'slug' apply to either
style, regardless of height?

No.

If they're cut down, they're definitely slugs. Slugs don't need the prime
mover, radiator, blowers, dynamic brake vents and cooling fans, etc., since
they've been castrated.

This GP60B is a real loco not just traction motors and a frame. It has all
the stuff you'd expect a full blooded loco to have except a cab. So it needs
all the space a full blooded loco needs, except at the cab spot. So it's a
B. ( or Booster... There are those that claim "A" is a back formation from
"B" but no one knows for sure. There's credence to that since what is it
that "A" stands for???)

Not all slugs are cut down but they typically are, precisely because the
engineer needs to be able to see over them. (2 slugs and one real loco
typically have the loco in the center. MOST locos do not have massive
electrical cables coming out of them, so the loco-slug mating is usually
semi permanent... most locos only have MU hoses. Slugs are parasitic and
need the juice)

++Lar

A slug runs off the excess current produced by the unit it is mated to.
Slugs are used in low-speed service such as switching in a yard, where
tractive effort is more important than speed. The vast majority of slugs are
old locomotives cut down, there are very few purpose-built slugs. -Harvey