 Trains / 9130
Re: Help from the train experts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 06:42:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60B/331.HTM

What do you call this?  It is a locomotive that doesn't have a cab.  For
some reason the term "slug" comes to my memory but I don't know if it is
correct.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot

Mike,
The locomotive you are describing is an EMD GP60B (B as in booster). 23 of
these were built by GM between July and September of 1991. With a 710G prime
mover, they develop 3,800 HP. Santa Fe was the only railroad to purchase the
cabless booster version of this model. Like Larry had said earlier,
railroads do not purchase boosters because of poor utilisation. (As a
footnote, EMD was transferring locomotive production away from La Grange to
Ontario, Canada at the time these locomotives were produced.) -Harvey