 Trains / 9134
Re: Help from the train experts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:22:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this:

HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAINPIX.COM/ATSF/EMDORIG/GP60B/331.HTM

  Strangely, these look like "full-height" units...I say it's
odd only because I've only seen this one other time, in Edmonton,
and the CN units were between 1/2 and 2/3 as tall as normal units.
It seemed like you could put them in front of a normal locomotive,
and the engineer could see over it.

  I only found one picture of the CN version, after an evening
of web searching, but that was on the other conputer and I don't
have the URL with me. (I have some short glimpses on a videotape
from our vacation this year, but I haven't mastered getting the
images off the tape and into the computer...yet.)

  So, are the ATSF units 'full-height'? How about the CN units?
(Am I misremembering?) Would the term 'slug' apply to either
style, regardless of height?

  I used MSN search, and looked for 'CN railroad slugs', and the
results were largely worthwhile to look at. :-)

       -Z-    frenezulo@baylug.org