 Trains / *3582 (-100)
  LEGO trademark (was: Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...[lego phone])

(...) Yah! And -- bing! -- now I think I *finally* understand the subtle point that TLG legal counsel was trying to explain to me when they asked me to change the name of my "Fibblesnork LEGO Backgrounds" page[1]: it shows pictures of 2x2 LEGO (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish)

Tom Stangl wrote in message <386FB1A1.542946B2@n...pe.com>... (...) I did that a couple of months ago, and It worked just fine. You have to be very careful about what phone you pick to buy, so it can be rebuilt with Lego. Look at the buttons for (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...[lego phone]

(...) Or a Dumpster made by um, uh.... somebody other than Toccoa Metal Technologies. Trademark dilution at work! (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Petro-chemicals. You need someone to make ABS. Octan-Polymeres ? Octan-Elastomers ? Ray (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...[lego phone]

(...) Huh? That's like saying you own a box of Kleenix made by Puffs. Or that you own a Hoover made by Black & Decker. --Todd (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

(...) (URL) used the above link (Thanks Ben!) to get the thing apart. It was quite the ordeal! Ben's method looks painful but is actually the best. It does keep the motor together after your done. My design works great. I can short it over with the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

Sooner or later I'm going to try what I talked about in another thread - pulling the motor out of the shell, and adding in a capacitor and other circuits, so that the capacitor feeds non-stop 9V to lights or other circuits, while the "main" circuit (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

I'm working on it ;-) Plans are for building a black 4558 (AFTER I get a normal 4558), and working on hopper/cargo cars for my freight train. But right now I'm trying to plan out the industrial complex for the freight train - a warehouse, 3 oil/gas (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Does someone want to split a 6544 Shuttle Transcon 2 set?

(...) I would definatley be interested. I was thinking of actually asking someone if they wanted the shuttle if I were to purchase the set. Keep me informed if you do want to buy the set and split it. You can even have the instructions and the box. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.town, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shipping from Germany

The rates quoted are correct. I've been charged DM15 and DM23 for cashing checks (a little under and alittle over $10) recently. Shipping the Economy option is the best way to go, since it takes 2-3 weeks and is much cheaper than air. You could also (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

Hi Ben J.! I have opened a 9V motor last year and taken pics of that on my homepage: if interested visit it under the URL: (URL) aim to do so was not the use of an rcx, but to convert the motor for use on 12V track. But I think my pictures may help (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

(...) How do you get it apart? How do you like your design in practice? I would like to see pictures of your whole engine, if you have them handy. Using the track to power the RCX was one of the ideas I was considering. The other was using the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Shipping from Germany

(...) Hi Steve Shipping a Metroliner would be a parcel between 2 and 3kg. There are three ways to ship this to the US: Seaway US$23, allow 30 days for delivery Airmail Economy US$25, allow 2 weeks for delivery Airmail Premium US$38, allow 1-2 weeks (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

(...) I've done just that. It's easy. I added a second wire directly to the motor. It even has little eye connectors for putting the wires. To avoid the motor from going to the main power I simply put electrical tape over the pressure pressed power (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?

Has anyone investigated the possibility of disconnecting the motor from the pickups on the wheels so it can be powered from the top plate without driving other trains on the same track? Ideally one of the two top connections would still connect to (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Design for 9v Train Light Sensor

I've put up a design for a sensor which can identify and count traincars at (URL) web page is long enough so I won't repeat it all here... --Ben (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

(...) Mark, I just got off the phone with s@h. They have 6557 in stock for $22.00. -Rich (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

A few weeks ago I started dreaming about this set and the three brown inverted brown slopes it contains... Hoo Boy!!! I sure would like them slopes. -- Richard (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

(...) over (...) Wow - I'm surprised that S@H ran out of that set (although I wasn't watching to see if/when it was put on sale for a weekly special). What, did all the train geeks buy dozens of copies to get the white train canopy? -- (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...[lego phone]

I still have my Lego phone. It was made by Tyco. It has a small drawer in the side of the phone for storing a few bricks and the top of the phone is like a large baseplate. Even the phone's buttons have studs. I didn't know it was rare. I'm actually (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

(...) Check your local Tuesday Morning store. That is pretty much the only US store chain that received the set. Also, I am sure you have called S@H (8004534652, incase you did not) and they told you it was discontinued. However, it is not rare for (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Given that you can replace most of the plastic panels of some mobile phones these days (the 5110 springs to mine) replacing the plastic with lego shouldn't be too hard. Even if you cant replace it with lego then you vould replace it with a (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Does someone want to split a 6544 Shuttle Transcon 2 set?

I saw this old (1995) set in a store today. I could use the pieces that comprise the space shuttle, but if someone is interested they could buy the other half of the set (the blue jumbo jet) off me. It looks like it has some of those little windows (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.town, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) I hear you - I'm dying to buy the 4558, but no chance of that happening anytime soon... especially at the current average price of $400... -Shiri (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

Regrettably, I visited the store today and they had no 6557's left. Sorry to Mr. Linsey and the others that emailed me about acquiring this set. The store does still have almost all the other Divers sets if anyone is interested. -- Paul Davidson (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) NORTEL made a LEGO phone. I know...I have seen them, and I imagine I could find reference to them if I dig hard enough... (away I go to dig...) James (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Yes, I think the tyco phone is the source for all the rumors of a Lego phone. I haven't seen anything else. (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

I remember rumors from my younger days of an actual LEGO telephone. I know tyco (lower case intentional) had one few years back. Tom, I have also wanted to do the same thing by taking the "guts" out of a phone and rebuilding it, but I want to do a (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Rob, just as a little known thing, NORTEL made a LEGO phone once...I almost had one! (I know someone with one, and it almost came to me for the right amount of $...) James Powell (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

Nice, Tom... (OK, set that hook, don't let Tom feel it, set it, gently, gently, easy does it, gently... THERE! Now, start reeling him in, but don't let him think he's not free to go... gently gently.. all right, let him run free a bit... ok, ok, (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Not if you buy a phone compatible with WORK. Grin. Dean (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

Someday, yes. I'm going to get a phone, tear it apart, and rework the guts into some plates/bricks. But only a home phone - I think Facilities would get upset if I tore apart a work phone ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Damn, Tom. What's next, a Lego telephone? -Rob (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

I'm not only jealous that you're allowed to bring Lego to work but that you can afford that many train sets! I've wanted one of the train sets for two years now but, at the $130 price, there's no way I can afford them yet. I should only have to wait (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

Nope - I just added them for strength - when the train was under my Xmas tree, even with cardboard under the tracks, if the cats stepped on it, it would partially dislocate the joints. So I put them there for strength, and have decided to leave them (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) That's from Matt's "Track Designer" program, I think... --grin-- JohnG, GMLTC (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

One question, why all the black 2x2 plates between track sections?? (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

It amazes me what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time with trains..Kinda makes me jealous..I've been looking for a couple of those sets for a while..good thing I'm patient. :) Enjoy!! michael (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

Mark, I saw one or two of these at a local store just two weeks ago. If you like, I can check to see if they still have any -- they're an out-of-the-way place and don't generally move their toy merchandise that quickly. -- Paul Davidson, aka Tinman (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

EXACTLY, I ran out of space ;-) I actually do have a bookshelf - it's on the one wall that isn't covered with Lego, and it has actual book on it ;-) Once I finish my custom 5571 with 24x96 stud trailer, I'm going to bring it in for a while - it will (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

I've seen your cube many times. It looks more like a Lego museum than like a cube ;-) Lego is everywhere and I've seen only 1 book on all of those shelves! But why no large sets like the supercars or 5571? You must have ran out of space. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) Luckily, the management historically has valued Hard Work With Hard Play - they recognize that allowing an individual to BE an individual tends to help work output, and don't put extreme limits on hobbies or display of them at work. Of course, (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

I get it you've never seen my cube ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) That's gorgeous, Tom. I also wish I could do something like that--I've gotta ask, how do you pull it off? LFB (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(...) That's pretty cool Tom that you can bring Lego to work. While you and I were working this weekend for probably the same reason (Y2K), I would get into a lot of trouble by doing anything at work that's not work- related, for example bringing (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  What I did for the Y2K weekend...

(URL) Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  wanted: battery tender roof

Yesterday I aquired a used 4.5v blue battery tender, however it is missing the electric conducting roof. If you have an extra one for sale or trade, I'm interested. Russe (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  Do you want $50 for a $20 set?

Hello LUGNET, I have had absolutely no luck getting a 6557. I have been looking for over nine months now and I am desperate. I am now offering $50 to anyone who can sell me one. My son's B-day is coming up and he has a Divers collection complete (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains)

  7850 Straight Rails found at store

I was visiting the Georgia LEGO Outlet store today and found an entire shelf full of 7850 Straight Rails (at least 40 boxes) for $6.99. They also had two 2126 for $39 and some 4559 for $109. I have found that it definitely pays to visit the store (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

I've build the design from Ted Michon. It is working great. With Ted's permission, I've put his note on the web at (URL) to everyone, Carl (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) You mean like THIS: (URL) MY big red beast. We took our tree layout down the day after christmas but I ran big red and the matching passenger train around it. It's dated, and I can do much better now, but I still like it. (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) Well, the answer of course is not only to lengthen but the widthen;-) Going 8 wide will solve a lot of proportion problems, even if it leaves you with only 1 car. Hey, it took me 6 months of collecting pieces to complete some of my passenger (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) Oopps, forgot this bit... I use the treads that came with the old Expert Builder Bulldozer set (they work like the roller chain links, but are almost three studs wide). You can still get them from Pitsco Dacta but are quite expensive. Dan (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) The lead wheels are still the very small train wheels and the reason being is they need to articulate under the cylinder boxes. I would like to use the regular size wheels for proper scale, but I would also like bigger drivers too! As said (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) If only Lego (or someone) would come up with large train wheels, we'd all be able to make more realistic steam locos! Dan (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) Yes, I actually added all of the plumbing and water tanks under the walkways, added the interior details to the cab, and redesigned the front end to be more in line with the actual model (lengthened smoke stack, raised light platform, etc.). (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) Wow! Great job on the Big Boy. The improvements look great. You have got to post some more photos showing better closeups of this great new design. Have you switched the two smaller leading truck wheels with standard size train wheels? It's (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  barcode reader for RCX (was: how does a bar code reader work?)

(...) Well, I tried this, and it's hopeless. The RCX can't poll the sensor nearly fast enough, and even if it could you'd need a lens to focus the sensor better. (...) Instead of using my idea, I took the suggestion of someone else and just used a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: train event still going on....

Hi Ben, Amazing what you and youre friends did. I want to do so too,but there's no one in my neighborhood that i know for starting a kind of club. Go on with the hobby,it's realy nice. Ludo (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) It's 2D, not 3D. It is pretty cool looking but more susceptible to damage than the 1D codes because the 1D codes are wide in the second dimension for redundancy. /Eric McCarthy/ (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: train event still going on....

Ben, It looks like you are having fun. How did you five get together? Have you been friends for a long time? Enjoy your train event! Chris (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) track (...) Simple...it takes time :) I have @500 straights, and probably 200 curves, plus 16 points of 9v, plus some 4.5V stuff on my current layout. A lot of the track is in the ramp up, with about 225 pieces between the ground and the 2nd (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) Nice, I can only hope to finish mine some time. I am still trying to find 8 more large red spoke or 12 stud wheels. The wheel articulation for the front drivers gave me a little trouble, but I think I can get it working. The large wheels (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you like monorails?

(...) They are called People Movers actually. Systems are in service, AFAIK, in Dallas, Miami, and Sydney. They usually are for small inner-city routes (i.e. the Miami route goes all through downtown and connects with the subway, which only crosses (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) track (...) Well, I have for the time being a lot of 12V track, with automatic points and stop signals. I am not going to buy 9V points before they are automatic. I hope that TLG gets into train-mindstorms (computer controlled track e.g. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  RE: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) Hmmm, this might be another practical pbForth application. I don't have time right now... <snipped excellent barcode type description> (...) I'm not sure about the clock thing. Any single sensor is sampled at about 333 Hz. If you write some (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

(...) night you brought him over to GMLTC? As for the caboose, though, try using a flat roof with roofwalks the way I did. Much more prototypical looking. (...) right way and the big box lantern headlight is spot on! I like the passenger car (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) I just realized that I answered your barcode question without considering what you were trying to do! For your application you can use (or invent!) any barcode system you like. In fact, something simple like POSTNET (used in the US to add a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

(...) Well I don't have the code pilot but at my previous job I worked on Warehouse Control systems that were Bar Code intensive. As I am sure you know a bar code is just a simple representation of letters and/or numbers that are readable by a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: how does a bar code reader work?

This is going to be tricky without real arrays. LegOS may be the only option. You'll be looking for a start symbol (maybe just one framing bit, sometimes a legal character in the barcode set and sometimes just a pattern). Once you identify it you (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you like monorails?

(...) I was lucky to get that 6990. I also have had many bad luck stories with the brick. But, that is being a LEGO addict is all about, huh? (...) It is very difficult to cash in moths, you have to drag the manager into it, and set up trading, etc. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you like monorails?

(...) Hmm... I think is just improper anyway. It is common courtesy not to say things like that. But I guess that's what you get when you have to buy LEGO. I for one like online shopping (I don't buy them without free shipping most of the time), and (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  how does a bar code reader work?

Hi, Can someone explain me how the bar code reader of the codepilot works. I figured out the basics, but I can not get to the clocking stuff. You can move either slow or fast over the bar codes to program the codepilot. I want to use the rcx to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: railroadcrossing

(...) <really excited> Hey hey! I would like to get one; if the price isn't TOO outrageous. :) Let me know. Bryan (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: railroadcrossing

(...) How nicely do I have to ask? What is E-bay. If you can help me please do, I apreciate it. Hans v. L. (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dan Strikes Again...

Tank car?? Hold still....<whap> Tanks for the pics. -John (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Dan Strikes Again...

Hello Everyone! I just developed another roll of film and have more pics of new train creations to share. For the finished Union Pacific Big Boy and 50's era freight cars... (URL) a redesign of my Wild West Locomotive and passanger car... (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Do you like monorails?

(...) Errr... My (former) best friend had the 6991 when I was in fourth grade, but I wasn't obsessed with LEGO then. When I asked her about it some two years ago, and offered to buy it, she said it belonged to a friend of the family, but she didn't (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Too old to buy lego (was: Re: Do you like monorails?)

(...) I know what you mean. I'm 15.5, but I'm short and look younger for my age, so I don't look so weird. -Shiri FUP to .fun (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Do you like monorails?

When they say that to me, I always look at them funny ...they generally don't say much after that. -Bret (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  train event still going on....

Hi Folks, first fifty (!!) pics of our train event in Brunswick (Northern Germany) are online now. Check out the URL: (URL) to be seen (and read) later.... Best Regards, Ben (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: railroadcrossing

(...) No, but if you ask nicely, I know someone who has a bunch that are going to go up on E-bay who reads this newsletter :) (Someone in CA...HINT HINT!) James P (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  railroadcrossing

If the 4532 is ot longer available is there another crossing for the 9 volts train available? Hans. (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4532 Railroadcrossing

(...) Hi Hans, AFAIK, the crossing has been out of prudoction for a year (half a year?) now, and is no longer available in the US S@H. At least, it doesn't appear on the catalog. That's too bad, because it looked like a really nice set. I wanted one (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  4532 Railroadcrossing

Hello Lego fans Last week I bought the trainset 4565 with some additional tracks. Now I was trying to buy the railroadcrossing but it seems that it is not available anymore, at least not in Holland. Can somebody help me? Greetings Hans (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

"Carl M. Kadie" <carlk@msn.com> wrote in message news:FnHCMC.KzF@lugnet.com... (...) Thanks for all the suggestions. I've refined my goals a bit: I'd like to use just Lego parts. I don't mind of the sensor is conspicuous. I don't mind modifying the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  WAMALUG Meeting and Event Update

Hello Everyone, Your WAMALUG Update God here again to inform you of some of our upcoming events! First up, the Official Announcement for the January Meeting. It will be located in Rosslyn VA, and take place on Saturday,January 8, and will begin at (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

(...) This would be my suggestion as well, if you want to use a touch sensor. If I recall correctly, they should be robust enough that the weight of the track won't set them off, but the weight of a passing train will. The only thing I'd worry about (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  shipping time from DYA ?

I ordered some stuff from DYA a few weeks ago when the Clubcar and other items were briefly available (I missed the Club Car, but got a few of the other train items). I'm wondering how long it normally takes to receive packages from DYA, 3 weeks, 4 (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

(...) Hi Carl, I tried some time ago, way before the mindstorms, to use read contacts. The magnets of the wagon/engines will close the contact each time they pass. I guess that the RCX can see this as 0 and 1. With this you can, I imagine, count the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: sets: 2126 and 3225

(...) I guess you better ask the lugnet.loc.de newsgroup, anyway I saw tons of both two months ago in Frankfurt. Mario Web page: (URL) member page: (URL) member of ItLUG: (URL) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  sets: 2126 and 3225

Hi, I am wondering whether sets 2126 (Train Cars) and 3225 (Classic Train) are still available in germany? If so, where? I recall that sets are limited editions. Guido (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

(...) My suggestion: Touch: Have the track elevated, and free to move up and down (1 'hinged' joint). Then have your touch sensor below the track. Light: Hard to get accurate, repeatable measurements. If light level changes, requires recalibration. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

FWIW I haven't tried this yet myself, but its very typical to use light sensors for this sort of thing in HO scale model railroading. There are a lot of advantages to "contactless" detection. On the down side, you need to minimize interference from (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

(...) I don't have a design, but I do have a comment, to wit: With a touch sensor you are committing to a fixed dimension SOMEWHERE unless you get quite clever. It may be in the width of the vehicle, it may be in the height, it may be the depth of (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains

I'm using Mindstorms to control Lego trains. Does anyone have a design for using a touch sensor to detect a train passing? My intuition is that the touch sensor could be more reliable than the light sensor (plus I have two touch sensors and only one (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Website update - town, trains, Legoland Windsor pics

After a good deal of delay I have completed updating my site: (URL) pictures of a trip to Legoland Windsor this summer: (URL) of my recently completed (and then torn down) town layout: (URL) few train pics: (URL) school Technic class pics: (URL) you (...) (25 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.legoland.windsor, lugnet.general)

  Re: Boston Transit Fun

(...) The best place I can suggest for anyone in the Toronto, Ont area to visit for ideas of light rail equipment is the Halton County Radial Museum, near Rockwood, Ont. First rate, they have lots of ex-TTC stuff, including #4000, the first Toronto (...) (25 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Boston Transit Fun

Over the holidays, I did my usual spend a day shopping in Boston, and did some transit riding. I wish I had brought along my camera though. One station which is very much worth a visit with a camera is Boylston on the Green Line. There is some MOW (...) (25 years ago, 28-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Track Plan Repository

Hey all, Using Matt Bates' Track Designer at (URL) possible to come up with all sorts of track plans. Has anyone formed a repository to collect such plans so you can see what others have created? Is this something Perhaps Lugnet or some other (...) (25 years ago, 27-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact