 Trains / 3456
Re: Shipping from Germany
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:03:13 GMT

The rates quoted are correct.  I've been charged DM15 and DM23 for cashing
checks (a little under and alittle over $10) recently.  Shipping the Economy
option is the best way to go, since it takes 2-3 weeks and is much cheaper
than air.  You could also ask at your bank about alternate forms of payment;
my bank will sell me a bank draft from a German bank for $5, which should
incur no cashing fees on the other end.  The exchange rate was only so-so,
though. YMMV.                              Alan
In lugnet.trains, Ralph Döring writes:
In lugnet.loc.de, Steve Martin writes:
Gutan Tag,

I just won a Metroliner train in an auction from Germany.  The gentleman
selling it told me the shipping would be $38 US to ship it and $10 to cash the
check.  Could someone tell me if this is reasonable?  It seems a bit much.
What are my options?  Please email me back at the address below.

Danke,
Steve Martin
martinsa@mail.com

PS It is being shipped to Indianapolis, IN in the US.

Hi Steve

Shipping a Metroliner would be a parcel between 2 and 3kg. There are three
ways to ship this to the US:
Seaway US$23, allow 30 days for delivery
Airmail Economy US$25, allow 2 weeks for delivery
Airmail Premium US$38, allow 1-2 weeks for delivery

I haven´t cashed in a foreign check or international moneyorder, but if I´m
not mistaken our banks charge US$5-10 for it.

Unfortunately shipping is quite expansive form here. But you should be able to
save some money if you take Economy class mail. Good luck & happy playing with
your Metroliner,