 Robotics / 9456
Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 03:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Carl M. Kadie writes:
I'm using Mindstorms to control Lego trains.

Does anyone have a design for using a touch sensor to detect a train
passing?

My intuition is that the touch sensor could be more reliable than the light
sensor (plus I have two touch sensors and only one light sensor).

My suggestion:
Touch:
Have the track elevated, and free to move up and down (1 'hinged' joint).  Then
have your touch sensor below the track.
Light: Hard to get accurate, repeatable measurements.  If light level changes,
requires recalibration.  (I found this with my coal loader...if the light level
changed too much, it didn't work right)  My solution to this was to have a
'headlight' aimed right at the sensor, and this seemed to work well.  I am
building a new coal loader, and when I get to the programming stage (fairly
soon now) I will be doing some more trials.  This time, the sensor is in a
reasonably inclosed box, being in a building, aimed across the track.  It might
work well enough, I am not at all sure yet.

James P