 General / 13091
13090  |  13092
Subject:
LEGO trademark (was: Re: What I did for the Y2K weekend...[lego phone])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 01:09:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Huh?  That's like saying you own a box of Kleenix made by Puffs.  Or that
you own a Hoover made by Black & Decker.

Or a Dumpster made by um, uh.... somebody other than Toccoa Metal
Technologies.

Trademark dilution at work!

Yah!  And -- bing! -- now I think I *finally* understand the subtle point
that TLG legal counsel was trying to explain to me when they asked me to
change the name of my "Fibblesnork LEGO Backgrounds" page[1]:  it shows
pictures of 2x2 LEGO bricks, except they're somewhat generic-ized in that
they don't show the word "LEGO" on the studs.  Even so, the implication of
the phrase "LEGO Backgrounds" -- even when applied to 2x2 LEGO brand bricks
-- is that that LEGO equals bricks, which isn't true.  LEGO does not equal
bricks or even elements in general.  LEGO is a company and a brand name, the
mainstream product line of which just happens to be plastic automatic
binding bricks and other elements.  Now it all makes sense.

--Todd

[1] http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/backgrounds/