 Technic / 92
Re: New angled beam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:15:05 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

    http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I'd seen that page before, but had forgotten
all about it. Hmm, let's see. I don't think I have enough of the
gearboxes, but I can probably work around that.

Perhaps you can do without the gear boxes if you use the new style
geared motors?  Anyway, gear boxes come pretty cheap from the accessory
service LEGO runs.  At least I can get them from Norway, so I assume the
same applies to you.

Been there, seen that, built that. Or some such. But anyway, yeah, with
the new style geared motors it works fine, although I still use a worm
gear. However, it only seems to work if all three motors are on at the
same time. Otherwise the thing rips itself apart. Of course, I still
have to add some reinforcements here and there, but it seems like it
might not work otherwise. Still a lot of fun, it's a strange sight to
see it move around.

The 8446, btw, has the medium-size balloon tires, not the big ones that
are used in the design of this platform. Ah, well, I had enought of the
big ones already. (Told you my wheel box was getting rather full.)

And yeah, I guess I could order them from LEGO Sweden. I've ordered from
them before, and they're pretty quick, and not all that expensive.
(Besides, how else was I to get small pneumatics pumps and cylinders?)
I'd still rather spend my money on complete sets, though. I'm planning
to buy the other new Technic Advanced sets soon, too, as they seem quite
interesting. The Technic Beginners sets seem less interesting this year,
though. No technical functions at all, it seems.

What do you think the discs in the wheel are for? I mean the ones
that you can see in the cross-section, that are attached to the axle
going through the wheel?  Just decoration?

Perhaps they're meant to make the whole construction a bit more rigid?
To avoid unwanted "sideways" motion in the wheels?

Hmm. Could be. I just padded the axles with (half-)bushings, instead.

Fredrik

Johannes.