 Technic / 109
Re: New angled beam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:12:22 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

So the 5571 is a lot larger overall. But, well, it's model
team. Surely we all agree that Technic is far superior. :)

Certainly.  However I still had a good time assembling the 5571 Black
Cat.  It is very well designed in my opinion, with a lot of "clever"
design solutions which gave me much inspiration.  I also like the use of
various colours in the chassis which gives it a more "textured" look.

I'll admit under pressure that I've actually considered buying a 5571. I
found it once in a shop in some other city that I rarely come to for
about $100, which seemed like a good deal to me. Of course, luck being
what it is, I didn't have any money then, but I did see some other
people look at it, too. Predictably, when I returned a month later with
money, the set was gone.

Yes, technic is far superior, but of all the other themes, I'd say that
Model Team is the only thing even coming close to the appeal of Technic.
(And this time I'm serious.)

But when it comes to technic functions, the 5571 is kinda daft.
Reinhard Beneke has done a great job of "Technicifying" the 5571 at:

    http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/mod_team/mod_team.html

His pendulum axle construction looks interesting, certainly something
I'll have to try. But what does he mean when he talks about some problem
with the differentials? Still, a very good looking modification.

Fredrik

Johannes.