 Technic / 116
115  |  117
Subject:
general rambling (was: New angled beam)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:59:24 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Johannes Keukelaar writes:
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Well, lots of modern cars have metallic looking plastic rimcaps (?), so
they're not too far off.

Are you talking about the so called "alloy" wheels?

Yeah, I was talking about the ones used in, say, 8446 and 8462. Even if
I've never seen exact duplicates of those on real cars, I have seen
things that are similar enough that I think they're fairly realistic.
Fredrik Glöckner felt they were 'kinda cheesy'. Was that because they
look like metal but they're not, Fredrik? Because actually, lots of

Well, the few cars that do have rims like that (with very few
towtrucks among them) look cheesy, too. As an example,
try the 2nd, 3rd, and last pictures on this page:
http://riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_9/hallofshame9.html
Equipped with the semi-fitting 8880 rubber, those rims
are a good imitation of these ugly real wheels, while the
original "rubber-band" tires are truly beyond good and evil.

modern real life (as in non-lego, the kind of things that some non-abs
people drive to work in) cars have similar looks-like-metal-but-it's-not
rimcaps. (Are those things called rimcaps?)

I doubt that that was his criticism. 8880 wheels in "alloy"
wouldn't be so bad, though grey is really the perfect neutral
color that fits with any vehicle color.
(small=hubcaps, large=wheelcovers (though those are often called
hubcaps out of habit))

Interestingly enough, the 8448 wheels (which look nearly, but
not quite, as ridiculous as the thinner 3-spoke rims) have
no ridges to support the (even softer) rubber the way the 8880
wheels do, so even the low-ish weight of the 8448 pushes
the sidewalls out. Flat spots are a bit of realism I can *really*
do without. What were they thinking? My 8448 is parked up on blocks...

If you have (seen) 8448: How come the rear suspension is so
much harder than the front? The geometries seem to be too similar
for such a difference.

Speaking of hubcaps: I recently noticed that those 3x3 disks with
axlehole (used as a brakedisk in the limited go-cart (8219?), and
covering the wheels of the Town rocket vehicle) fit exactly
into the recessed area of the wheels used on the old red and the
new yellow Formula 1 racers, etc.

-gbr