 Technic / 117
Re: general rambling (was: New angled beam)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:48:37 GMT

"G. Benedikt Rochow" <rochogb@eng.auburn.removethis.edu> writes:

If you have (seen) 8448: How come the rear suspension is so
much harder than the front? The geometries seem to be too similar
for such a difference.

I haven't seen the suspension setup of the 8448, but can it be that the
shock absorber is closer to that chassis up front than rear?  When using
the 8880 setup, I've found this to be a problem.  If you put the shock
absorbers too close to the wheel, you cannot operate the steering,
because the steering links and the shocks conflict.  On the rear end you
ususally don't need the steering, so you can put the shocks as close to
the wheel as you want.  This makes a huge difference in the hardness of
the suspension, in my experience.

I have overcome this problem in a model I'm working on right now, BTW,
by moving the shock absorber to the (near) centre of the chassis.  There
is a rod connected to the lower suspension arm which, when you press the
suspension, pushes a beam which on the other end push a shock absorber
down.  The rod is in the centre of the suspension arms, so it does not
conflict with the steering link at all.  Here's some simple ASCII
graphics (be sure to view this with a monospaced font!):

###
### -   o--o--o
### |  /      |<-- shock absorber
###-+ /       |
### |/        |
### -------o  o
###

This construction uses the shock absorber's stiffness much more
effectively, meaning that the suspension does not travel as much as in
the native 8880 setup (which I find a bit unrealistic) and is stiff
enough to hold a fairly heavy car.

Speaking of hubcaps: I recently noticed that those 3x3 disks with
axlehole (used as a brakedisk in the limited go-cart (8219?), and
covering the wheels of the Town rocket vehicle) fit exactly
into the recessed area of the wheels used on the old red and the
new yellow Formula 1 racers, etc.

That's a good idea!  Previosly, I have used 4x4 satelite dishes as
hubcaps to give the impression of a 50's look, as in:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/bentley/

(The wheels here are from 5571, but this technique works with other
wheels as well, such as the ones from 8479.)

Fredrik