 Technic / 83
Re: New angled beam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:29:41 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

8446 has both of these parts. It also has various other parts that were
new to me, at least, such as the big beveled gear which you mentioned
before, a holder for a worm gear, a dampened spring and a, erm, hmm.
It's like a bent beam with five holes, having one 90 degree bend at the
fourth hole. The first hole is cross-shaped, the others are round. There
are also some other new (?) parts which seem mostly decorative.

You're probably talking about the part which I called "Technic Liftarm
2x4 L-Shape" in LDraw:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/32140.gif

This part appeared in the "connectable" Technic sets earlier this year.
The 8444 Helicopter set has two of them in blue.  They are very useful,
and I think I would like to have some more of them.

True, that is the part I'm talking about. I don't have any of the
connectable sets. There is another part in 8446 which I didn't see
before, but which I suspect to be in the connectable sets. It's kinda
like two friction pegs side by side, and an axle hole in the middle. So
about 3 x 2, first column two horizontal halves of friction pegs, then a
column with a little plate with an axle hole, then a column with the
same friction peg halves. I'm guessing it's the piece that, well, makes
the connectables connectable.

The decorative parts you talked about are probably taken from the Slizer
/ Throw-Bots series.  The front light cluster holders and headrests from
8446 are really a Slizer feet.  Further, the long decorative part on the
side is used as a wing (among other things) on some of the Slizers.  And
the grabber is composed out of two Slizer heads.

As I thought. The heads really do look like heads a bit.

I kinda like the new Slizer parts, although I admit that I haven't
really got around to using them too much yet.  But I like to see Technic
parts which are decorative as well.

I must admit that some of the decorative pieces, like the plating that's
new for these new technic sets (that _is_ new, isn't it?) make for
easily achieved good looks. Still, the purist in me rebels.

Of course, it does also have six big Technic wheels, and, yes, I also
have more of those than I can use. :)

:-)  I suppose that in the long run, it's a nice thing to have lots of
wheels in different styles.  But right now, I'm trying to avoid too many
of them.

Yeah. My wheels box is getting rather full. I discovered that it isn't
too hard to build small technic models from the pictures in the
catalogs. However, I've mostly been buying big sets, so I have lots of
big wheels, almost no small ones. So I have lots of wheels, just not the
right ones.

With six of the large wheels from 8446, one can make a robotic platform,
as discussed by Leo Dorst on this page:

    http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I'd seen that page before, but had forgotten
all about it. Hmm, let's see. I don't think I have enough of the
gearboxes, but I can probably work around that. What do you think the
discs in the wheel are for? I mean the ones that you can see in the
cross-section, that are attached to the axle going through the wheel?
Just decoration?

Fredrik

Johannes.