 Technic / 119
118  |  120
Subject:
New silly axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:35:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

BTW, while we are talking about the new Technic sets this year: I've
noticed this really odd new axle: About six studs long and there is a
cylindrical element next to one end.  (Sorry about the imprecise
serve in the sets?  If I remeber correctly, there is one if 8445 and
8448.

It's 5.5 studs long. 4 studs of crossaxle, 1/2 stud (minus the
width of the collar?) wide crossaxle-diameter round axle,
a larger-diameter collar (as on the stud end of a 1/2-peg),
and another stud length of axle. The 3 in 8448 simply fill the need
for a 5.5-axle, which is to say, none. I can't see any good use
for it, but since it's Technic and not decorative, there
must be some some intended use.
The basic idea of a bit of round axle next to the collar
might be useful e.g. in situations like the steering, which
allows (due to the spring placement, as opposed to the new
small-vehicle steering parts, which do it by their own design)
no axle other than 3-with-stud, which makes for *extremely*
wobbly front wheels.
This as well as other features (e.g. non-axle flex-axles; low-height
steering knuckles, which do their part in making the front wheels
up-down wobbly, and leave no room for steering arm reinforcements,
which leaves them front-back wobbly - a first!) had me, despite the
few useful new parts, for the first time ever thinking seriously
about mailing the set back marked "unsatisfying".

-gbr