 Technic / 82
Re: New angled beam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 14:56:23 GMT

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

8446 has both of these parts. It also has various other parts that were
new to me, at least, such as the big beveled gear which you mentioned
before, a holder for a worm gear, a dampened spring and a, erm, hmm.
It's like a bent beam with five holes, having one 90 degree bend at the
fourth hole. The first hole is cross-shaped, the others are round. There
are also some other new (?) parts which seem mostly decorative.

You're probably talking about the part which I called "Technic Liftarm
2x4 L-Shape" in LDraw:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/32140.gif

This part appeared in the "connectable" Technic sets earlier this year.
The 8444 Helicopter set has two of them in blue.  They are very useful,
and I think I would like to have some more of them.

The decorative parts you talked about are probably taken from the Slizer
/ Throw-Bots series.  The front light cluster holders and headrests from
8446 are really a Slizer feet.  Further, the long decorative part on the
side is used as a wing (among other things) on some of the Slizers.  And
the grabber is composed out of two Slizer heads.

I kinda like the new Slizer parts, although I admit that I haven't
really got around to using them too much yet.  But I like to see Technic
parts which are decorative as well.

Of course, it does also have six big Technic wheels, and, yes, I also
have more of those than I can use. :)

:-)  I suppose that in the long run, it's a nice thing to have lots of
wheels in different styles.  But right now, I'm trying to avoid too many
of them.

With six of the large wheels from 8446, one can make a robotic platform,
as discussed by Leo Dorst on this page:

    http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html

Fredrik