 Technic / 7213
Re: New Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:44:28 GMT

There are two different "carrier disks". One has a center round hole, the
other a center cross axle hole. They both have a pair of cross axle holes
and pair of round holes around the outside. The cross axle holes are used to
pin the two disks together to form a cage. The other two holes allow the two
planet gears (8 tooth pinions on 2L axles) to idle. The center driving gear
is an 8 tooth pinion on an axle passing through the center of the carrier
disk which has the hole. The "output" shaft is engaged in the carrier with
the cross axle center. This cage system provides the necessary strength to
handle the torque that this thing is capable of.

These devices should be able to be easily cascaded for large ratios. As soon
as I make more, I'll check it out.

In lugnet.technic, Jason S. Mantor writes:
I was hoping you had done that : )  Very Slick !  I'm confused by your pics,
though.  Why are two of the four axles for the planet gears fixed to the
carrier such that they can't rotate ?
                                               -Xanthra47

PS.  You're gonna sell these, right ?  I'll take at least two, probably
more..

I plan on making more than I need for my own personal consumption ;)

What I need is international help! The parts you see are the result of
taking 1/4" thick ABS sheet stock and milling it down to 0.157" (4mm) before
I start to cut the parts out. I cannot find ABS sheet in 4mm anywhere in the US!

If anyone anywhere else in the world can find a supply, it would help
enormously. What I ideally require is 4mm thick 50mm and 100mm wide strips.
I am sure that if someone can find sheet stock somewhere, there will be a
way to have it guillotined into strips.