 Storage / 733
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:06:57 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Remy Evard writes:

3. You give up on individual set boxes and toss all your Lego in a big
storage bin or a Lego denim bag, or a couple of your large set boxes.  You
become very familiar with the sound of someone digging through large bricks
looking for a 1x1 transparent red plate.

One of the parameters of my growing storage dillema is how to keep pieces
sufficiently separated such that scratching and scarring is kept to an absolute
minimum when I have to rummage around.  My experience is that, in the long run,
if one has to scoop through the parts bin looking for that trans-red plate one
too many times, then visible and often unacceptable wear and tear to the bricks
can't be avoided.  This is a real issue for me when it comes to storing pieces
of which I have a lot, e.g., 1x2 bricks; if I'm working on a big project that is
depleting the reserves of, say, white 1x2's, then it becomes necessary to
shuffle through hundreds of other colors until I find that last white one that
is inevitably at the bottom.  Perhaps I'm just AR (my wife thinks so), but I *
hate* to scratch my bricks - my goal is pristine pieces for life.

I think this is were subcontainers, or even ziplock bags, can be very
handy.  I can't imagine having separate compartments for each color of 1x2
bricks, but I can imagine having a number of bags in a single container,
each bag having a single color of 1x2 bricks.  Even if each bag had two or
three colors, you can still quickly zoom in on the specific bag needed, and
avoid unnecessary wear-and-tear on bricks of any other colors.

Steve