 Storage / 1502
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Simpson wrote:

One of the parameters of my growing storage dillema is how to keep pieces sufficiently separated such that scratching and scarring is kept to an absolute minimum when I have to rummage around. My experience is that, in the long run, if one has to scoop through the parts bin looking for that trans-red plate one too many times, then visible and often unacceptable wear and tear to the bricks can’t be avoided. This is a real issue for me when it comes to storing pieces of which I have a lot, e.g., 1x2 bricks; if I’m working on a big project that is depleting the reserves of, say, white 1x2’s, then it becomes necessary to shuffle through hundreds of other colors until I find that last white one that is inevitably at the bottom. Perhaps I’m just AR (my wife thinks so), but I * hate* to scratch my bricks - my goal is pristine pieces for life.

james

I’m right with ya onboard the “I Hate Scratches” bandwagon.
Over the years, I’ve always thought scratches were caused only by bricks against bricks. When I got the whole M:Tron™ collection for Xmas ‘90, I kept those trans-neon-green pieces in a separate drawer, especially that quarter-dome piece from the Multi-core Magetizer, and that payed off; it got only a few scratches on it. Last fall, when I started buying brix like crazy, I started to find out what causes scratches.
First, I tried scratching a new brick with a new brick. Nothing happened.
Later, I got out the rest of my collection, which had been gathering dust for a few years, and starting sorting out the old from the new. I picked up a brick that had dust on one side, and dragged a new brick accross the dusty side of that brick. Lots of scratches running in the direction that I dragged that brick.
Question was answered. Dust is Enemy No.1.
Dust on bricks is like sandpaper to other bricks.
Keeping your LEGO room dust free would help, no doubt. So would regular baths for your bricks.
I keep a Swiffer® cloth handy. When a bin is empty, I Swiff it.

scott “The Gaklander”