 Storage / 714
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:29:02 GMT

Remy Evard wrote:

3. You give up on individual set boxes and toss all your Lego in a big
storage bin or a Lego denim bag,

Ahh, the old denim bag. I think I still have mine around soemwhere...

or a couple of your large set boxes.  You
become very familiar with the sound of someone digging through large bricks
looking for a 1x1 transparent red plate.

Soothing, isn't it?

5. Ok, you realize you actually have to sort it.  You decide to sort the
obvious way: by color.

I never actually went through this stage - when I started sorting, it went by
type. I realized very early on that it was *far* easier to find a blue 2x4 in a
bin of 2x4s than it was to find a bue 2x4 in a bin of blue bricks.

(Although oddly enough, I now have my lt. grey bricks sorted out by color.)

9. Sorting becomes difficult enough that you decide, in some cases, not to
break some sets down and put them in your main pile of lego... instead, you
store them as a set, because that set is so cool just the way it is.

Usually when I do this, I leave the set assembled. At least until I want the
parts for something else.  This happened to a lot of the Star Wars sets, for
example.

13. Your collection is now clearly housed in many different types of
containers ranging from buckets to drawers to bins to individual tackle box
components.

And the worst part is that when buying Rubbermaid/Sterilite/Home
Essentials/whatever bins, I can never seem to find the same kind twice.  So
most of my bins don't stack with most of my other bins. *sigh*

15. You begin to develop strong opinions on Plano vs. Stak-On and
Rubbermaid vs. Sterilite.

Never went through this stage...there's really that much of a difference?

16. The original categories you made begin to follow this life cycle:
  - They grow too large to fit into their container.
  - You divide the category into two categories in order to get them
    to fit into the containers... one for each category.  (Now you
    have windshields, doors, and windows, each as a different category
    of pieces, each in their own containers.)
  - You store those subcategories together, but as parts of them become
    too numerous or too hard to find, you split them out.  So your tackle
    boxes now have a different compartment for each type of door.
You realize that at this point the endgame is that you will have a
different compartment for every type of piece you have.

Since I just got the Destroyer Droid, I fear that my Technic collection
(formerly jammed into one little drawer of an Akro-Mils unit cos I didn't use
it much) is going to have to be...sorted.  And I know that once I sort it I'll
start to expand it...maybe I better get another drawer unit while I'm out...

21. Finally you create an "overflow" system of buckets, where, if the bin
of 1x3 yellow plates is full, you just any additional ones into that
overflow bucket, along with other plates.  (One of the first indicators that
you should do this was that you didn't have a compartment big enough to hold
all your Lego horses...)

Well, crossbows, lances & halberds in my case, but the sentiment is there.  I
only really have overflow for certain specific things (like minifig stuff).