 Storage / 720
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:41:45 GMT

This was quite cool.  Seems to be a pretty accurate description of the
average LEGO-phile.  I'm currently sorted by piece type (all 1x2s together),
with pieces that I either don't have enough of and sort of seem congruous
kept together ("plants", "wheels"), or stored by theme ("Pirates", "Space").
Most largish categories live in "400 piece" blue buckets, or "1200 piece"
blue tubs.  I specifically got a 2 bedroom apartment to house my computer
and my LEGO collection, but the LEGOs have now managed to take over the 2nd
bedroom and the living room, with largish models invading the dining room
table and my bedroom.  I can't have anyone over because I'm starting to have
problems moving between rooms.

I also have a 40 gallon, doubled up, plastic garbage bag full of random
pieces, mostly from fairly recent sets (Star Wars, Adventurers, some the
newer Technic).  The sheer size of the plastic bag is sufficiently daunting
that I hate the idea of sorting it (major neck cramps!), but I know there's
highly necessary pieces floating around in there, so I wind up dumping it a
couple times a week and rooting around in it for a while.  The bag is full,
so my latest spree of buying has been lumped together into largish boxes
(UCS Star Wars work well, except the boxes are so flimsy - good thing this
is only temporary.  Right.)  Finding an open space large enough for the
garbage bag is becoming challenging.