 Storage / 710
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Remy Evard writes:
Here's a description of an evolution of lego collection sorting.  It might
be yours, at least in parts.  It's certainly been mine.

Heh.  Very good!

Mine slightly diverges, mostly because I am so full of what the SubGenius call
"slack" (to the rest of you, that means I'm "lazy").

I bought many, many sets over the years.  After buying a set, I would always
put it together, play with it for a while, and eventually disassemble it just
enough to jam it back into the box it came in.

This went on from roughly age 12 till age 26.

Recently (at least, on that timescale) I had the opportunity to visit a couple
of friends who had their LEGO sorted in various ways.  It was then that I heard
the magic words... "AKRO-MILS".  Since then, I have been half-heartedly
sorting.  I told myself at one point that I was allowed no new acquisitions
until what I had was sorted.  That didn't last very long.

Right now, I'm at the stage where I am sorting things by type, and trying in
vain to keep the types near each other (ie, 1x2 slopes get a bin near 2x2
slopes).

I'm also at the point where I want very specific configurations of drawers,
which means finding a serious source for Akro-Mils bins.

Anyway, what generally happens at this point is that I sort until I can't see
any more boxes in my room.  Then I think "I can take a break for a few days".
That's because I have forgotten that under my bed are a bunch of sets, and in
my closet there are a bunch of sets, and in my pantry there are two boxes full
of sets.

And that break turns into a couple weeks, and by then I have more sets sitting
around in my room again.  And I sort those, and you get the idea.

Man.  Now I want to go home and sort.

eric