 Storage / 707
  the evolution of lego sorting

Here's a description of an evolution of lego collection sorting. It might be yours, at least in parts. It's certainly been mine. I might turn this into an essay some day, but for now it will have to begin life as a series of unsupported claims. If (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage) !!

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) ...You begin trading in all of your other worldly possesions, lose your job, lose your wife, kids, and life...your family members disown you, you begin to drool and froth at the mouth and spend the rest of your days in a mental institution, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) begin (...) [big snip] Thanks a lot Remy for sharing this story with us. I did enjoy it, being myself currently at stage 17 now I know what to expect from the future... :-) Ciao Mario Lego web page: (URL) member page: (URL) member of ItLUG: (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Heh. Very good! Mine slightly diverges, mostly because I am so full of what the SubGenius call "slack" (to the rest of you, that means I'm "lazy"). I bought many, many sets over the years. After buying a set, I would always put it together, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I have it sorted mostly like that, I did a big sort between xmas and new year. I have my lego kept in my 6 roboriders canisters, a 2 litre icecream tub (for my 8448 wheels) a 2 tray tackle box for parts like my large collection of angle beams (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) My evolution was: 1. sorting by size, I forget what I did with the non-bricks 2. sorting bricks by size and color, same color grouped together, still not sure how other parts were sorted 3. realized it's a pain to find the bag of yellow 1x2s (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Ahh, the old denim bag. I think I still have mine around soemwhere... (...) Soothing, isn't it? (...) I never actually went through this stage - when I started sorting, it went by type. I realized very early on that it was *far* easier to (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

Since we're giving testimonials... After the dark ages, living at home with no room for sorting/playing/ making $$$ to buy lots of LEGO I have: 5 gallon Rubbermaid bucket with my stuff, now mostly built and sitting on my bookshelves in new (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Ouch. I hit this stage about a week ago. (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I think I started doing that when I was 9 years old. May be earlier (...) Never done that since it was obviously wrong. (...) I used big plastic ice cream boxs. Those cheap plastic boxs are all broken now, while the ABS LEGO pieces are still (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

[...] (...) Dear Remy, great article! Every single word is 100% true and I'm still laughing about our shared experience. BTW: I just reached more or less step 22. Leg Godt! Ben (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Wow. It's suprising how similar it's been-- granted I'm somewhere between 16.5 and 21 (I've got 'overflow' bins, but haven't yet rearranged my apt to fit it all) Actually, I almost forgot that I once tried sorting by color! And on that note-- (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

This was quite cool. Seems to be a pretty accurate description of the average LEGO-phile. I'm currently sorted by piece type (all 1x2s together), with pieces that I either don't have enough of and sort of seem congruous kept together ("plants", (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Great story... I'm glad I started visiting LUGNET almost immediately after exiting my "shadow" period (I never really stopped playing with my LEGO, but for about 4 years I hardly bought anything) Because of what I read here, I started sorting (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Great insight! One would have had to go through this to have been able to write it so well. Thanks. <Major Snippage> (...) I got to this step about 6 years ago ;-) I now call my basement: "My Shop". (...) Step 26 is in the wrong order. It (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

I followed what you said almost exactly until about step 6. Right now, I'm about an 8 or 9. I sort my pieces by color (though I separated black plates and blocks as I had so many) in shoeboxes and those cardboard boxes that come in the larger sets. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) [Lots of snipping. Frank and I generated some serious text in here.] Thanks for the detailed response Frank... it was very insightful for me to read it from your perspective. (...) To be completely honest, I don't remember quite what happened (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Yep... I also have quite a pile of collections I've picked up on Ebay and in local garage sales. I actually sort those independently of my main pile, and only integrate them once I've either completed all the sets that I can from the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Glad you enjoyed it! No one replied for a while, so I figured that either no one was reading it or everyone thought I was insane... :) Let me know if you get past step 26 and solve the vision recognition problem. I could use some help on that (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I am still undecided about comingling pieces. I have mixed some smaller elements together in Akro but have kept apart larger bricks. A 20 year old yellowing white brick is in stark contrast to something from 3033. (...) I think it is for (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) As a child, I don't think we (me and my sisters) sorted the LEGO at all, or at least not into more than a few bins (I just remembered my dad built a box with drawers and dividers which might have been for the LEGO), but then we didn't have all (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I just read the lugnet.trains group and try to read the highlighs. Your posting became highlighted, so I found it at last... (never been in this corner of Lugnet before) (...) If I should reach step 26 and still be able to have time for (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) One of the parameters of my growing storage dillema is how to keep pieces sufficiently separated such that scratching and scarring is kept to an absolute minimum when I have to rummage around. My experience is that, in the long run, if one has (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) It's been a long time since I've seen any discussion about this, and I don't remember the conclusion. Do you do more damage to bricks keeping them built in walls/cubes/piles which keeps them "flexed" or keeping them loose which lets them get (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

My friend put all the yellow 1x bricks into 12x1x10 walls in preparation for a new project.Oh, and the 2x4 into plus-sign shaped 4x4x10 pillars. The project never got built, but I love those walls. They are great for scoping out what a mountain side (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I think this is were subcontainers, or even ziplock bags, can be very handy. I can't imagine having separate compartments for each color of 1x2 bricks, but I can imagine having a number of bags in a single container, each bag having a single (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Yea, that's what my system is, though I use Hefty brand resealable bags (note that it's Ziploc without a K and that's a particular brand's trademark). (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

"Wayne R Hussey" <eskimo2@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:G6v1rF.F8H@lugnet.com... (...) 10 (...) Totally agree here! Although I must admit my own story skips completely random around Remy's. I've never sorted by set or by color. A factor (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I'm about here. I've got 128-gals. worth of Rubbermaid tubs, 4 tubs filled to the brim with pieces sorted by type into Ziploc freezer bags, the other two tubs unsorted pieces. I used to sort baseplates, but that (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Quite available in the US, and I've seen them at least within the past 12 months. I wouldn't swear that Rolykits is the brand their sold under here, but they definitely are around (and the website confirmed my guess as to what you were talking (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) My sorting and associated deviant behaviors.... 1 2 Fab figures, Fabuland sets, other 5 but obvious way to me was size 5a start putting instuctions/catalogues in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders start colapsing nonFab boxes to store 11 13 14 (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Heh. Mine starts a little oddly, but is otherwise about normal. ;) (...) 1. You don't sort your Lego. You pack it all in as tightly as you can get so it fits in one suitcase on the way home. Smile nicely at the customs officer. ;) I came out (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I find this interesting. :) (...) I never did this one-- the concept of "set" is pretty alien to me; it gets built once, _maybe_, as a set and then it's just parts. (...) This happened fairly late for me-- actually _after_ more fine sorting. I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I found this didn't work as well for me; even using "brand name" bags, I found that I wasn't completely sealing bags-of-1x2-tiles and such. Also, the bags aren't holding up well now five years later. I think they'll be more useful as I add (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) The Hefty One Zip bags seal very positively. The Ziploc Slideloc bags don't always seal so well. I use freezer weight bags, which I hope will last several years (though some have been damaged by getting jammed as a drawer was opened, causing (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

Well, I'm at about step 18 right now, though I was lucky enough to skip the initial "sort-by-colour" phase, and step 17. Looks like I've got some good times to look forward to... ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3A5D30E2.B1878C...ing.com... (...) I've been looking for them here, and have been sending them emails, but no reply... (...) Maybe it's 'cause I grew up with them; my Technic stuff and all (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I also skipped most of the "sort-by-colour" etc. phases. I think that this may be because I mostly have Technic parts, and you tend to go more for types of parts than colour. I am now at the stage of needing to sort into different coloured (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) Yeah, those are nice, aren't they? I need a wall-full of those. Eric posted in this group not too long ago about that. See this page: (URL) follow the "updated pictures" link, where among other things, he says these are "tilt bins" from Arnon (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I have solved step 26(for awhile anyway), her name is Ryann Powell and she's 9yrs old. Hopefully I can keep her interested in retreiving parts for Daddy until I can come up with another solution... Robert Powell (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.storage)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

(...) I'm right with ya onboard the "I Hate Scratches" bandwagon. Over the years, I've always thought scratches were caused only by bricks against bricks. When I got the whole M:Tron™ collection for Xmas '90, I kept those trans-neon-green pieces in (...) (19 years ago, 15-Jan-05, to lugnet.storage, FTX)

  Re: the evolution of lego sorting

It's become a classic! More than 20 years old but still true. Here's to another 20 years of futile sorting! dö (3 years ago, 22-May-21, to lugnet.storage)