 Storage / 123
Re: Workspace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:05:29 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

Loft-beds are also useful for providing large amounts of storage
space.  Not a lot of talent is required to build them, just make sure
they are sturdy!  But lofts do require a tolerant attitude from anyone
involved.

When I lived in Manhattan I built (1) a queen size loft bed and the space under
it became part of my living room.  I didn't want a post in the middle of the
room, so we put three of the posts at the corners of the bed and for the corner
that was in the middle of the room we put the post against the other wall, put a
13' beam across at ceiling height, and hung the corner of the bed on a chain
attached to the beam.  I didn't trust anything in the ceiling to hold a bed up.
It helped that I had 9' ceilings, but was still an advantage not being tall(2).

Cindy

(1) With help.
(2) I'm 5'4''(3)
(3) I also hung my bicycle from the hall ceiling.  One friend banged his head
every time he visited, but I would have had to jump.