 Space / 7176
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:57:15 GMT

In lugnet.space, John D. Forinash writes:
   in a ship of this class/size.

A couple months ago I went to Patriot's Point and saw USS Yorktown (CV-10),
and one of the things I noted was that it doesn't seem to have elevators for
human-sized objects; humans use "ladders" (steep staircases) to move
between decks[0]. And even at Yorktown's size, she still dwarfs any Lego
MOC I've built... Not to bring up the scale argument, but Yorktown
is about the same length as I'd guess Dan Jassim's A-Wing carrier MOC is,
and it's positively huge (I'd guess somewhere between 500 and 700 studs
long) As technology moves along, I suspect lifts would be more common
in smaller vessels, but even in Treknology, your MOC is "small" [1] for
what I'd expect to have one.

[0] Note that more modern supercarriers may actually have human-sized
elevators. Note also that Yorktown may have had one somewhere that was
simply not in use. I get the feeling from what I've seen, though, that
generally people use ladders on US Navy ships, even if there may be an
elevator somewhere for moving equipment around or such.

Two weeks ago I visited the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier (Fought in WWII,
decommissioned in 1992 after serving for many years as a training ship) and was
suprised to find an escalator within the bridge superstructure.  The escalator
was for the top brass to use in moving from the war room in the (forgive me, but
I'm ignorant regarding nautical terminology) bridge tower superstructure to (I
think) the interior hangar level.  I doubt that the escalator existed in WWII,
but I could be wrong.  Anyone know if this is a common feature in modern
Aircraft Carriers?

james