 Space / 7129
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:07:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Kuester writes:
In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tpruden/Destroyer-Mark-4/mk4a008.jpg

The above picture on brickshelf shows the car being guided by the 1 stud
white plates with the side track.  These are available in the little "temple
of gloom" studio sets.  I placed those type of plates right on the car, and
then the bricks with the female side groove onto the side of the wall using
any type of brick you want with side studs.  The bricks with the female side
grooves can pop off if you are not careful, but the upside is that the track
guides very smoothly and with clearance, minimizing the chance for the
bricks to pop off the wall.  I've tried several different types of
turbulifts, some motorized, some crank (the one in the pic is a crank
system) and this was in the end the easiest to work with and maintain.  I
find motors, though more reliable if done right, can take more space, while
for your ship you may want to keep the footprint to a minimum.

Thoughts, anyone?

woohoo, a conversation I can actually take part in  :)

actually, I have come up with a lift method that I find to work pretty well,
I think it is similar to your described method, but its very hard to tell
from the picture, so I have uploaded some pics of it to my Brickshelf:

lift1.gif through lift5.gif show some detail on my lift system, it uses a
small space, it has a 4x4 space for minifigs to stand, and I have less
friction problems than with other methods I tried... not to mention I kinda
think it looks cool  :)

I tried using the groove brick method you describe, but I found they were
too tight inside the actual ship, and that it would take way too many of
them to make 2 elevators go 4 floors... so this is what I had to do.

the rail it rides on is a technic beam with a 1xN plate on the bottom and a
1xN tile on top to hold it together... LMKWYT.

these are also the first pics of the interior of the Benevolent Grace... of
course the rooms aren't detailed yet, but you can see the layout sorta.  If
you look carefully, you can see the crew galley... I am a baker IRL, so I
can't resist always doing the galley first   :)

cheers!
Joel Kuester

AWRIGHT!! INTERIOR DETAIL!   ooooOOOOOooooo....lotsa grey pieces....mmmmmm

Yep...I definately like your elevator solution.  I never considered using
technic...and it seems so benificial since the pieces are round and will
minimize the potential contact area to a thin line.  Also, your method is
strong, secure, and will not pop apart at the slightest gingle.  and the
foot print is small.  Thats it!  :^)  Next big ship I make will have one of
those.  I don't think I'll make two - my destroyers and frigates have a
smaller crew population (20-40) than your luxury liner and I also like
having a ladder option to complement.  I did both ladders and turbo lifts in
my Constitution.

Now, for the original post, I think this would be a cool way for Mark to
incorporate an elevator.  The cranks are available in the arctic sets, and
the tecknic pieces (I don't know what Mark's collection is like, but I take
it's pretty impressive) are available if required in the slizers and
throwbot sets.  Using those, he can pick and choose his color.  The round
technic tubes that you use for elevator "walls/frame" are also avalable in
white from the artic sets.

Mark!  There you have it!  Why don't you try that?

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.