 Space / 7131
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Rideout writes:
Hey all -
I'm seeking input on whether or not my current space craft MOC should use
ladders or a turbolift (aka elevator) to go from level to level.

My own thought is mostly just towards the purpose of the ship. If people are
the only things going from level to level, ladders are the way to go IMHO,
although lifts are admittedly much cooler.

Mostly, I guess my advice is to try and think of it as if it were a real
ship-- what's the cost/usefulness tradeoff? Are people going to need to move
around a lot at the same time? If so, ladders are the way to go (no waiting
for the lift, etc). Does cargo need to be moved from deck to deck? Is the
commander too out of shape to climb around?

You could even do a combination of the two, since ladders can simply drop
down from the ceiling when needed, and empty up to a hatch above... Probably
for 'reality''s sake, the choice is either ladders or BOTH, since in the
event that the elevator breaks, you need some way of moving around.

And then of course the question, what ELSE do you want to put in? Would
either method restrict available space and make you not be able to put in
something you wanted to add? If you went with ladders, what would you put in
the stead of the turbolift? Anything that would rival the
usefulness/coolness of the turbolift itself? :)

$0.02
DaveE