 Space / 7103
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Rideout writes:
Hey all -
I'm seeking input on whether or not my current space craft MOC should use
ladders or a turbolift (aka elevator) to go from level to level. Here are
the specs (currently) of this space ship:

* ~100 studs long (mass part of the ship)
* ~66 studs wide (front 1/2 of the ship is less wide than the back)
* ~19 bricks (planned) high at the thickest area consisting of 3 levels.
* Crew of at least 8 probably 10 with room for "non important" people
    (without rotations of crew, if rotation then 15 to 18 crew).
* Fairly large ship with the standard amenities that should be
    in a ship of this class/size.

My first impression is to go with the lift because it's cool. I think that
you could build the car portion on a 4 x 4 plate (minimum). The 'fig would
be quite squished, but it would still be cool. The hard part is the control
and mechanics of the elevator. Most elevators that I have played with are a
little rough because of minor fluctuations where the bricks meet.

For more ideas:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=111

The ship class and purpose isn't totally defined, but current thoughts are
towards a scientific/explorer ship.

If you prefer function over form, I would go with the ladder. It is much
simpler and you can incorporate it into the surrounding walls. There are
several things that you can do to "space" it up a little.

Obviously size of each option is important, so I'm curious for an elevator
option what some minimal size constraints are that people have built for.
Playability of an elevator (are there controls on the outside to manipulate
the elevator or is it just for looks) is also important if this option is
chosen.

I would suspect that you are looking at a 6x6 footprint for the elevator and
4x4 for the ladder.

A two month old view of the front half of this ship can be found at:

I like that color scheme.

Thanks for your time and input.

-mark

Most of my stuff is single decked, so there isn't much need to go from one
level to another. When I do need to traverse levels, I usually use a ladder.
Most of this is just mindless rambling anyway, so take it for what it's worth.

-Duane