 Space / 7146
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.space, Mark Rideout writes:
Hey all -
I'm seeking input on whether or not my current space craft MOC should use
ladders or a turbolift (aka elevator) to go from level to level.

My own thought is mostly just towards the purpose of the ship. If people are
the only things going from level to level, ladders are the way to go IMHO,
although lifts are admittedly much cooler.

That is a good point - being the primary function is explore/science, I can
see a need to move bins between labs - though that is under my current space
usage where the labs are on the top and middle decks.

Mostly, I guess my advice is to try and think of it as if it were a real
ship-- what's the cost/usefulness tradeoff? Are people going to need to move
around a lot at the same time? If so, ladders are the way to go (no waiting
for the lift, etc). Does cargo need to be moved from deck to deck? Is the
commander too out of shape to climb around?

Good thoughts/questions for me to look at. As I think of it, there a lift
more the size of a cargo lift would/could be used since there is a "shuttle"
bay where explorer ships come/go to the surface with specimens - these can
be put onto a cargo lift to the main science lab deck. (thinking of the 1x2
cargo containers w/ door to move around).

You could even do a combination of the two, since ladders can simply drop
down from the ceiling when needed, and empty up to a hatch above... Probably
for 'reality''s sake, the choice is either ladders or BOTH, since in the
event that the elevator breaks, you need some way of moving around.

I haven't thought of having both - redundancy hasn't been built in elsewhere
yet, but it's good for me to think of.

And then of course the question, what ELSE do you want to put in? Would
either method restrict available space and make you not be able to put in
something you wanted to add? If you went with ladders, what would you put in
the stead of the turbolift? Anything that would rival the
usefulness/coolness of the turbolift itself? :)

I would say this is the biggest question. I don't want to make a lift where
it takes up space that could be used for something else - it's like building
a ship just to contain a lift, not a lift being necessary for the ship.

$0.02
DaveE

thanks Dave - good thoughts to me to ponder...

-mark