 Space / 7178
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:03:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Simpson writes:

Two weeks ago I visited the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier

Ugh, that means you were in Corpus Christi.  I'm sorry. :P

(Fought in WWII,
decommissioned in 1992 after serving for many years as a training ship) and
was
suprised to find an escalator within the bridge superstructure.  The escalator
was for the top brass to use in moving from the war room in the (forgive me,
but
I'm ignorant regarding nautical terminology) bridge tower superstructure to (I
think) the interior hangar level.

Eh, I was under the impression it was more for moving pilots to the flight deck
in a timely fashion...

I doubt that the escalator existed in WWII,
but I could be wrong.  Anyone know if this is a common feature in modern
Aircraft Carriers?

I toured the Lex with my father, who served aboard two carriers of the same
class (the Ticonderoga and the Kearsarge) and he had more than one amusing
story about the escalators, so they were at the very least a "feature" that
crossed the class of ship as far back as the 60's and 70's (I dn't know the
exact dates of my father's tours on those vessels).

eric