 Space / 7149
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
Yep...I definately like your elevator solution. (snip) Next big ship I make >will have one of those.  I don't think I'll make two - my destroyers and >frigates have a smaller crew population (20-40) than your luxury liner and I >also like having a ladder option to complement.  I did both ladders and turbo >lifts in my Constitution.

cool, glad you like it... actually, I only put in the lifts as a courtesy
for the passengers.  Since this is a cruise ship (think "Love Boat" in
space) I am making it very lavish in scale.  The shortest level is 8 bricks
high, and the highest level is about 15 or something silly.  The main
corridor down the center of the passenger section is about 20 wide by 22
tall.  I didn't want it to feel too cramped, since people are vacationing on
it for a couple weeks, they could go insane in too small of a space.  I have
a mix of lifts (2) stairwells (4) and a number of ladders.  The lifts are
for the crew and passengers in the tallest section, which is 4 levels tall.
The ladders are only for the crew in the engineering section, and the stairs
are placed about the passenger section.  I am also considering adding 2
spiral staircases to the front section, but that remains to be decided.

Now, for the original post, I think this would be a cool way for Mark to
incorporate an elevator.  The cranks are available in the arctic sets, and
the tecknic pieces (I don't know what Mark's collection is like, but I take
it's pretty impressive) are available if required in the slizers and
throwbot sets.  Using those, he can pick and choose his color.  The round
technic tubes that you use for elevator "walls/frame" are also avalable in
white from the artic sets.

exactly... the parts I used are not really hard to get, the only thing that
I don't have a gazillion of are the tube parts that Lego uses for armatures
in the Nautical and Arctic sets.  They seem to work the best since they are
so smooth.  I tried the crossbar connectors that are similar (and a little
more common) but they have ribbing on the side that tends to grab onto the
wall and not want to let go.  The biggest problem I had in lift design was
that it kept getting stuck between floors.  The plates are a tiny bit wider
than most bricks, and that causes problems.

cheers!
Joel Kuester