 Space / 7135
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:47:31 GMT

In article <G94qu0.JAt@lugnet.com>,
Mark Rideout <MadMax_hm@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
Hey all -
I'm seeking input on whether or not my current space craft MOC should use
ladders or a turbolift (aka elevator) to go from level to level. Here are
the specs (currently) of this space ship:

* ~100 studs long (mass part of the ship)
* ~66 studs wide (front 1/2 of the ship is less wide than the back)
* ~19 bricks (planned) high at the thickest area consisting of 3 levels.
* Crew of at least 8 probably 10 with room for "non important" people
    (without rotations of crew, if rotation then 15 to 18 crew).
* Fairly large ship with the standard amenities that should be
    in a ship of this class/size.

The answer to me seems simple. Were I building this ship, I'd use a ladder.

Therefore, the right answer must be turbolift.

Seriously, though, I think that even in a Trek-ish universe that a lift is
probably overkill for a mere three decks and, say, 20-ish people for
any sort of "working" ship-- perhaps if it were a luxury yacht, I'd go
with a lift.

A couple months ago I went to Patriot's Point and saw USS Yorktown (CV-10),
and one of the things I noted was that it doesn't seem to have elevators for
human-sized objects; humans use "ladders" (steep staircases) to move
between decks[0]. And even at Yorktown's size, she still dwarfs any Lego
MOC I've built... Not to bring up the scale argument, but Yorktown
is about the same length as I'd guess Dan Jassim's A-Wing carrier MOC is,
and it's positively huge (I'd guess somewhere between 500 and 700 studs
long) As technology moves along, I suspect lifts would be more common
in smaller vessels, but even in Treknology, your MOC is "small" [1] for
what I'd expect to have one.

On a starship, an elevator is even less necessary, particularly in a
zero-G ship or one with reasonably fine control over artificial
gravity. Need that supply cart on the next floor? Push it to the ladder
and the push it through the hole in the deck. :)

On the other hand, a good lift design would be infinitely cooler.

[0] Note that more modern supercarriers may actually have human-sized
elevators. Note also that Yorktown may have had one somewhere that was
simply not in use. I get the feeling from what I've seen, though, that
generally people use ladders on US Navy ships, even if there may be an
elevator somewhere for moving equipment around or such.

[1] It is interesting that I'm calling a 19-brick-tall 100-stud-long
MOC "small" when it dwarfs anything I've ever built, ain't it? I've
yet to build a multi-deck ship, though I do have a MOC-up of a section
of one I'd been throwing some ideas into.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <