 Space / 7182
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Eric Joslin writes:

Two weeks ago I visited the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier

Ugh, that means you were in Corpus Christi.  I'm sorry. :P

Don't be! ;^0  I enjoy Corpus!

Eh, I was under the impression it was more for moving pilots to the flight deck
in a timely fashion...

I confess that I made an assumption that the escalator would be for the command
because, if I remember correctly, the escalator was reached almost immediately
after leaving the war room (which was in turn directly below the bridge level.)

I toured the Lex with my father, who served aboard two carriers of the same
class (the Ticonderoga and the Kearsarge) and he had more than one amusing
story about the escalators, so they were at the very least a "feature" that
crossed the class of ship as far back as the 60's and 70's (I dn't know the
exact dates of my father's tours on those vessels).

The escalators just seemed a little bit incongruous.  After winding our way up
tight passageways and stooping under bulkheads, it just seemed a bit odd to come
across an escalator.  Sure it's wasn't just meant to hurry the captain his
dinner?

james