 Space / 5616
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:16:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

I'm not so sure... that is, I'm not certain that ABS _does_ outgas, but I've
smelt funny smells in containers of bricks that haven't been opened for a
while, that sort of suggest that it does (perhaps in some limited fashion).
I guess that the most conclusive experiment would utilise a variety of
containers of different materials. Anyone store their Lego in wooden or
metal containers?

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

The containers that most people store bricks in, as well as the bulk buckets
are not air tight.  My guess is the smell you sense is from some form of
bacteria.  I contend that if you were to store Lego Bricks in something air
tight (like a vacuum sealed bag) you wouldn't notice the smell when you open it.

Of course a good number of the bricks that I had as a kid are discolored.
They still lock with other Lego bricks though, so my guess is they just
faded (or are dirty... yech  ;)

-Bryan