 General / 25528
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:29:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Business/News_Analysis/2000-12/lego201200.
shtml

That article points up precisely all the reasons to simply not care whether
TLC succeeds or not.  Most of the details are available elsewhere, but this
article nicely redacts those sources into a nice, concise unit -- it's a
great reference!

The sordid dealings with the English inventor and his estate is more than
just "sour grapes" as has been said of it elsewhere on Lugnet, methinks.  I
smell a whitewash.  I don't like the feel of that part of the article at all
-- and I feel sure that TLC is to blame for more than just the loss of
43,000 pounds sterling.  What, I cannot say -- it's just a feeling.  Doesn't
that settlement seem astonishingly low to anyone else?

Nope. See below.

Moreover, does
anyone have details about the Hong Kong case(s) that revealed these facts?

The whole thing just makes my blood boil -- to have lost Tyco because of
TLC's greed over that which it had sketchy rights to at best?
Please...Sounds like TLC had better lawyers than did Tyco -- or was it just
more money and willingness to fight?  Business as usual, eh?  I dunno
though, I will withhold judgement of the matter until I have more details.
Anyone have the lowdown on the Tyco case(s)?  I am MORE than curious as to
the details of that deal too.

Anyone have access to Lexus/Nexus?  =)

And sorry, but things are almost certain to be grittier than is normally
politely discussed here on Lugnet -- and that's one of things I don't like
about TLC -- the pretense that everything is great, perfect, and just
squeaky clean.  I don't think so.  When you look at the wealthy, there is
usually something fairly despicable behind them.  And that's a
generalization to be sure -- but often true.  Sounds like Microsoft and
Apple all over again -- although I guess Apple faired a damn site better
than did the English inventor or his estate.

Interesting mention of Microsoft - where Mr. Bill bought DOS from its author
for a mere 50,000 US.

On the subject of TLC's financial future -- all I can think is: Who cares?
If TLC goes "belly up", then perhaps someone like Mega Bloks, or preferrably
Tyco (like a Phoenix from the ashes!), might rise up and do the right thing.
Maybe, maybe not.

Have you built anything with these other brands? I have had people tell me
"No matter what I do, I can't get the Mega Block model to stay together". I
have models built with LEGO that have stayed together for 15+ years.

Quality makes a difference.

If the 2001 Lego line is supposed to be the basis of my supposedly caring
about TLC's future -- well, guess again!

And I have nothing against MindStorms products, but I'll tell you -- after
messing all day with computers, the last thing I want to do at night is go
home and write a program.  Give me just the little plastic bits and I can
have some fun...!

TLC has been sitting on a goldmine for years -- the elements themselves.
Only now are they beginning to understand the wealth that may exist in just
giving us the parts that we want.  If they don't get it right, despite all
the evidence of our willingness to purchase the bits...

...well, who cares? Business is business.  It's not like KKK and I are old
friends or anything.

...And the patents are running out! Woohooo! If I can smell opportunity, so
can others -- hopefully others with far greater means to implement their mad
schemes than have I.

-- Richard

Wayne