 General / 25519
Re: Radical statement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:27:39 GMT

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message
news:G5xArx.Bxn@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

The line is gappy. That's what needs fixing. Eliminating Town Jr isn't • the
answer, not by itself.

Town Jr. has a place, but as Larry stated, there needs to be something after
it.  Young builders need to learn building concepts and the Town Jr. stuff
does provide a platform for doing so.

Yes, but I'd add that Town Jr. should probably be marketed to kids no • older than
four.  Judging from what I remember as a boy, as well as what I've seen in • a
five-year-old recently, when children reach the age of about five they are • ready
for more sophisticated challenges.

james

I'd argue that the upward age is probably six.  Kids develop at different
rates and while some kids can build fairly complex sets at age four or five,
I believe that it is not the norm.  My son is five, almost six so I have
seen the building skill of several of his friends and cousins.  The ability
and desire to build is pretty much all over the map.  It does seem that
generally around the age of five, the ability to create from pieces as
opposed to simply following instructions clicks with many kids.  My son's
kindergarten teacher made a similar observation when I was speaking with her
about LEGO in the classroom (which we will be making a donation to for my
son's birthday in January).

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com