 Space / 5603
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:58:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

William Brumbach wrote in message ...

I can't speak for your lego but my classic space is in bad shape because I
played with them and any unsealed sets have also been played with.  I doubt
the ABS is spontaneously degrading.

I own proof of this very principle... a 928 that sat in a display for twenty
years and virtually never got played with. All of the bricks are literally
like new. What's true for cars is true for bricks, it's not the years, it's
the mileage!

While I agree with Paul that this is true for ABS, it's not true for CA. I
have opened some 20+ year old ABS sets and they are like new.

25+ year old CA sets still in their shrinkwrap have some signs of
deterioration, the CA outgasses and becomes a bit different. ABS doesn't
seem to outgas.