 General / 25538
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:19:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
Interesting mention of Microsoft - where Mr. Bill bought DOS from its author
for a mere 50,000 US.

Yeah, but I was talking about the fact that MS actually stole the look and
feel of the Mac, which Apple licensed from Xerox.  Absent such a license,
what MS did was just outright piracy.  But unless you're as big a David as
Apple, there is no point in trying to go after MS as Goliath -- they will
out-wealth you and win the legal battle.

Which is exactly my point about the English inventor scenario v TLC.  Filz
asserts that they paid him off to avoid the nuisance of the suit -- but I am
not so sure about that at all.  Power in today's world is about both money
and public image -- and TLC has pretty effectively built up a legend about
it's origins.  A legend that is now hard to compete with, whatever the truth
may actually turn out to be. We shall see if the legend remains intact, but
I think we are seeing the beginnings of cracks in the facade.

Anyway, I don't want to slam TLC too hard.  I just don't buy into that
overly brightly-lit public image they have created.

-- Richard