 General / 25530
Re: Radical statement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:45:29 GMT

Juniorization is good.

There, I said it. Juniorization is good, *IF* it is part of a progression in
the product line.

For example:

Primo - Primo vehicles - Duplo vehicles - Duplo trains - Town Jr 4561 -
"craftsman" trains.

4561 is not between Duplo and "crafstman" trains.  It is part of the LEGO
System Train theme, designed for children between the ages of 8 and 12.  It
is not a City Center set.  Yes, the front of the engine is formed largely by
two specialized pieces.  So is the front of a Metroliner, but nobody complains
about that. I'd call the Metroliner front more specialized, but it does look a
lot better so maybe that's good. Yes, there are no doors.  Pretend the lifting
sides are hydraulic.  The roof bricks are juniorized.  Um, maybe.  You can't
build an exact replica with other parts, so they aren't POOPs.  And they aren't
that specialized, so they aren't SPUDs either.  The number of windows is nice,
isn't it?  The little cars with this set do use a one-piece base, but its the
old plate kind.  Nobody seemed too concerned about that piece in 1992 sets.  No
doors on the car either?  Well, a 1*3 brick is a far more useful building
piece.  The storage crates in this set are kind of brilliant.  4561 isn't an
awful train, and even if you do hate it buy it on clearance after Christmas for
parts.  And if you really pefer the older train windows and doors,
shop.lego.com has them.