 General / 25510
Re: Radical statement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:51:14 GMT

Larry Pieniazek at lpieniazek@mercator.com wrote:

Right now Town peters out at the Town Jr level. There are no more complex
town sets such as 6543 any more. Artic and Star Wars are not different kinds
of town... *we* know how to build anything out of their parts but the 9 year
old who has outgrown Town Jr may not. Yet. Give him the gateway sets and
he'll soon be "doing the hard stuff"

Which reminds me of a brief conversation I had in the Toys R Us aisle a
couple days ago.

I observed a man in his late 30's shopping for his kids. He picked up the
Polar Base, and then he picked up the LoM Blue Mecha (I'm too lazy to look
up set #s right now) He then put the Mecha back on the shelf. Of course,
being the LEGO evangelist that I am, I mentioned as politely as possible
that the LoM sets are pretty neat because they have the technic-pin
interchangeability.

The man said that a while back he had bought his son one of the Technic sets
(I forget which) and he said "He had that thing put together in a couple
hours," as if to say he was finished playing with it. The man didn't have
much else to say, so I didn't bother to talk to him further.

I suppose his son may have been one of the "build it once and put it on the
shelf" types, but I was sort of disappointed.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego