 General / 25489
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:26:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"lawrence wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:G5vwv9.9sy@lugnet.com...
Compelling reading for those who love lego.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Business/News_Analysis/2000-12/lego201200.
shtml

Thanks to Nathaniel Cross for spotting this.

Dont read it if you get all emotional about lego though,  its not too
positive.
They do suggest there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.
But even their latest strategies could be flawed.

regards
lawrence

sorry that url didnt wrap

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Business/News_Analysis/2000-12/lego201200.
shtml

(from the last paragraph)
"The danger is that this bid for long-term survival could impair Lego's
greatest asset – its uniqueness and creativity. By hitching its name to
other great brands, it may be diminishing its own."

I've said that before, somewhere on one of these lugnet newgroups.  I'm glad
that it's helping the company out, but it *is* diminishing their "brand"
name, their uniquiness.  The Star Wars logo seems bigger than the LEGO logo
on their Star Wars sets, so are they considered just another Star Wars toy
that happens to be made by LEGO or are they a LEGO toy with a Star Wars
theme to it?  I see a distinction.  Which brand name is the more
recognizable, which one grabs you and says "buy me, I'm good for you"? =)
How can you have a strong unique brand name if it's muddied up with other
equally strong brand names right on the package?  I don't really have a
point to be made, I just wish the company well and I hope they get back on
track.  I was wondering about one other point that the author made, he said
that LEGO has a factory in Switzerland and that it's prohibitively expensive
to produce things there.  Then why not close that one and keep the factory
in the U.S. open?  Just wondering.  Oh and one more thing... I knew about
the giant toddler land in the company HQ, but was the author serious when he
wrote that there were butts that farted at your head level and unwanted
cigarette smoke pipped in the rooms?  That sounds a little off kilter to me.

~Nathan