 General / 25498
Re: A VERY interesting article on the Lego Business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:37:36 GMT

My Throwbots were made entirely in Switzerland, according to the boxes.  That
implies that the parts were made there, doesn't it?  I think a lot of Technic
parts are made in Switerland now.

Given the figures that we were kicking around before, the actual operation cost
of the plant is likely NOT the largest price in making Lego.  The machines are
the investment, not the (molding floor) employees.  The machines (it is HIGHLY
automated) do nearly all the work, from my understanding of the process.  The
stuff I have (which is at least 15 years out of date) seemed to indicate that
the final packaging was done by hand, then.  (The polybags were added into the
inserts by hand, and the castle/ect plastic backings had the minifigs added by
hand).  I think even that is now automated (or gone, what current sets have a
clear front, with the minifigs in it?).

Therefore, it is all the other costs that are likely more than the molding
floor people's cost.  So, a high cost area like Switerland can be competitive.
If the mold making was done there (I am not all that supprised, given the EEC
that it is done there), then it made sense at some point to co-locate the
molding plant with the mold making equipment.  (reduction in overhead of
support staff).  I'd also imagine that there were sound reasons for locating in
Switerland vice Germany or Denmark (probably the quality of worker available).

James