 Robotics / 4886
Re: RCX and Java
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:22:30 GMT

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Ola Liljedahl wrote:

When making a GSM call setup the latency for the call going into a base
station/base station controller and out into the next in the chain is 20ms.
If you fail you break the GSM specification. How are you going to guarantee
that with Java?

Don't you want the telephone network to function reliably?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Java is appropriate for a
hard-realtime system.  Personally, I would expect nothing less than an
RTOS with a deadline-based scheduler and a low-level language.

However, I think the RCX does not have any hard-realtime requirements.
I am sure nobody will be terribly unhappy if it is possible for a timing
constraint to not be met causing the lego arm to go a bit farther than
was intended.

Why did you pick Java for this problem? Just because of the hype?

Personally, the reason I think Java is a useful tool for programming the
RCX is that we can take advantage of lots of development work done by
other people.  The compiler already exists, the bulk of the interpreter
already exists, development tools for virtually every platform exist, etc.
Additionally, because it is portable and those tools already exist for
other platforms, building an emulation environment for the RCX would
entail emulating only those parts unique to the RCX (ie I/O) rather than
emulating everything.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801