 Robotics / 4787
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 21:31:00 GMT

At 09:11 PM 5/3/99 +0000, you wrote:
Ralph Hempel wrote:
[snip]
pbFORTH IS a bytecode compiler. You throw source code at it through the • IR port
and the RCX "interprets" it into efficient bytecode that is later • executed. You
can interact directly via the keyboard, query variables, dump memory, • etc. Once
the pbFORTH firmware is loaded, you can test and refine code as needed. • You can
use ANY pc that will run NQC - Win95/98, Linux, Mac. The execution speed is
closer to raw C than NQC interpreted bytecodes.

This brings up a point... why make the RCX interpret the source code into
efficient
bytecode?  Instead, why not compile the code on your own machine to
bytecode and
download the bytecode directly?  Certainly that would be a more compact
and efficient
solution on the RCX end of things, and would provide for the potential to
enhance the
user interface of the compiler end of things with, say, a gui front end, a
source code
editor with syntax highlighting, etc.

[snip]
Mark

I agree, that would make pbForth much more appealing if the source could be
compiled on a pc  in a nice gui environment and then the bytecode loaded
into the rcx.

Not only could someone enhance the gui front end as Mark has suggested, but
someone could also get the specs for your bytecode and easily write an
alternate language compiler.  This would make your system actually a new
firmware replacement that could be language independent.

p.s. I'm going to go ahead and learn Forth and give pbForth a try so that I
will actually know what I'm talking about!

Joel Shafer    joel@connect.net