 Robotics / 4778
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 17:11:53 GMT

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Mario Ferrari wrote:

The Spirit.ocx control is a HUGE bonus we must not throw away!!
It makes possible for a robot to break it's insignificant world and access an
outside world with endless possibilities, and processing power that it will
never be able to match!
We must not repeat the errors of LegOS. Do not ignore all the work that was
already been done for us. And please, do not re-invent the wheel!

I agree in full with you. An ideal new firmware should be fully compatible
with the original one and just EXTEND its possibilities.

I am not sure how much you can extend the capabilities of the firmware
while maintaining its basic dispatch loop.  There are some very basic
design constraints that would be difficult to change without redoing all
of the firmware.  If you develop something that has a C/etc API, how will
that interface into the existing bytecode interpreter?  Why would you want
it to?

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801