 Robotics / 4796
Re: Something else is needed, I think...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 22:24:12 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Do NOT underestimate the amount of work we are talking about. I took a working
version of hFORTH for the PC and ported a few machine specific definitions and rewrote
the IO drivers and debugged and tested using GNU tools, and I have 80 hours at least
into the project. I happened to have a free week or two to do this in.

I don't think I am underestimating the amount of work, actually.Just because a language has a
GUI toolkit does NOT make it user friendly or portable.

It is TOTALLY self contained - if you don't count NQC to get the firmware loaded in
the first place.

Then it's not self contained on TWO counts.

One, as you mentioned, you need NQC to get the firmware into the RCX, but I suppose you can
just as easily use a pre-built version of firmdl, so I won't nitpick about that.

The other way in which is it not self-contained is that it requires a form of dumb-terminal
interface to the IR port which communicates with the RCX.

I'm not saying that the pbForth project is no good.  I think it's an amazing achievement, and
quite practical because most real-world robot coding these days is actually done in Forth.  I
do think, however, that it would be more practical to create a Forth bytecode producer for a
home computer and then download that bytecode into the rcx.  Then the rcx only needs to
interpret the bytecode rather than also having to change source code into bytecode.  Further, I
don't really care for the idea using a dumb terminal to develop software (we did it that way
back when I was in University and it sucked).  I would imagine that I'm in the majority on this
viewpoint, but having never taken a poll of any sort, I suppose I could be wrong. This is just
all IMHO, of course.

Mark